HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drtbkjoe

seat height on XL650

3 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any tips to lower the seat height by 2-3 inches on an '04 xl650? Does Kouba or storm make links for them?

Thanks

You can lower the seat hite of the xr650l aprox. 1" to 2" for free. Turn the collar on the rear spring to remove almost all the preload on the spring (one turn from free spring), the locking collar won't thread on but I haven't had a problem. Slide the fork tubes up thru the triple clamps 1". This lowered the bike over 1" at the seat, for 0$. You can increase the rear spring preload to make the bike turn better but you will start to lose stability at speed, life is a compromise. You will need to modify the side stand to prevent tip over. File the stand where it contacts the tab on the frame so it moves further out when down, this is sort of cut and try to get the bike to sit safely on the stand. This you will have to do no matter how you lower the bike to prevent tip over when on the side stand. I see you live in FL. I ride alot in Ocala nat. forest, meet you at big scrub ? Good luck !