HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
edbaja

What tires to run in woods

13 posts in this topic

I know this has probably been posted somwhere in the last 25000 posts but instead of reading all the search hits for tires I figured I would ask again. I am running Dunlop 736 (9?) and after just a few rides (like 4 -30 milers) the knobs are well worn and rounded. I know this has alot to do with how much the tire is sliding and spinning. I thought I would ask other 650r owners what they are running. Is the trade to a harder tire worth the traction trade-off?

ed,

I've gone thru 3 tires since march on my pig, finally settled on IRC'S VE33 5:10/18.

Ran it for years on my old 490, only tire the sucker wouldn't rip the knobs off....

Takes awhile to break in, ( six ply ), but hooks up nice & 'fits' the pig's manners...

edbaja wants to know about woods tires for a 650...

You ever ride in the pine trees above Mikes?

edbaja,

After the mikekay's post, I'll clarify....

I ride woods about 90 % of the time..

Thanks for all the imput. I will try the IRC tires and see how they work. Most of the riding I do up here is single track with a good helping of rocks. The damage from rocks is pretty easy to identify :thumbsup: it's the rate of rounding the knobs off that is bothersome.

Ed

I have been trying a "Kenda Carlsbad" front tire now for a couple long weekend rides and it has been working great. Everything from sand to rocks to trees. I will definately be buying another one, and they are cheap. I used to run Dunlap 756 on the front, this Kenda tire lasts 3 times as long and has the same traction.

Just my two cents. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the imput. I will try the IRC tires and see how they work. Most of the riding I do up here is single track with a good helping of rocks. The damage from rocks is pretty easy to identify :thumbsup: it's the rate of rounding the knobs off that is bothersome.

Cool! here's the deal..Run 14psi front & rear during the summer, and be careful till they break in..usually about 3 rides.

If you order the front also, it's a VE35, 3:00x21 (6 ply)

the metric front VE35 ( 80/something?) is a 4 ply...Again, it's a great combo, post your findings!

Dan

To chime in here, the IRC is a good all around tire. I found it to be squishy feeling compared to Michellins or Pirellis, but it lasts a long time and wont round. Wears even and wont chunk. Just has a ......soft squishy feel to it.

The Maxxis IT or HT 120-100-18 is also a long wearing non chunking beast of a tire. Downfall: HEAVY AS HELL!!!!! But sticky like a booger as someone said earlier :thumbsup:

Cisco, If you run at least 14lbs in it the "squishy" feeling goes away. I tried running it at 10-12 lbs, no dice..squirm like a worm... :thumbsup:

Hey man, I'm doing the same kind of riding type you are and I'm running a Kenda Carlsbad and it is great in intermediate to hard terrain, wearing way better than I expected and the price is good and before that I had the Maxxcross IT and it was great as well. I've been running a Maxxcross IT front it works and wears well.