What tires to run in woods

I know this has probably been posted somwhere in the last 25000 posts but instead of reading all the search hits for tires I figured I would ask again. I am running Dunlop 736 (9?) and after just a few rides (like 4 -30 milers) the knobs are well worn and rounded. I know this has alot to do with how much the tire is sliding and spinning. I thought I would ask other 650r owners what they are running. Is the trade to a harder tire worth the traction trade-off?

ed,

I've gone thru 3 tires since march on my pig, finally settled on IRC'S VE33 5:10/18.

Ran it for years on my old 490, only tire the sucker wouldn't rip the knobs off....

Takes awhile to break in, ( six ply ), but hooks up nice & 'fits' the pig's manners...

I run a Dunlop 756 on the front and Maxxis IT in back. Works great.

Maxxis H/T, or I/T rear kick butt!! I just ran the H/T, sticky like a BOOGER!!! :thumbsup:

edbaja wants to know about woods tires for a 650...

You ever ride in the pine trees above Mikes?

edbaja,

After the mikekay's post, I'll clarify....

I ride woods about 90 % of the time..

Thanks for all the imput. I will try the IRC tires and see how they work. Most of the riding I do up here is single track with a good helping of rocks. The damage from rocks is pretty easy to identify :thumbsup: it's the rate of rounding the knobs off that is bothersome.

Ed

I have been trying a "Kenda Carlsbad" front tire now for a couple long weekend rides and it has been working great. Everything from sand to rocks to trees. I will definately be buying another one, and they are cheap. I used to run Dunlap 756 on the front, this Kenda tire lasts 3 times as long and has the same traction.

Just my two cents. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the imput. I will try the IRC tires and see how they work. Most of the riding I do up here is single track with a good helping of rocks. The damage from rocks is pretty easy to identify :thumbsup: it's the rate of rounding the knobs off that is bothersome.

Cool! here's the deal..Run 14psi front & rear during the summer, and be careful till they break in..usually about 3 rides.

If you order the front also, it's a VE35, 3:00x21 (6 ply)

the metric front VE35 ( 80/something?) is a 4 ply...Again, it's a great combo, post your findings!

Dan

To chime in here, the IRC is a good all around tire. I found it to be squishy feeling compared to Michellins or Pirellis, but it lasts a long time and wont round. Wears even and wont chunk. Just has a ......soft squishy feel to it.

The Maxxis IT or HT 120-100-18 is also a long wearing non chunking beast of a tire. Downfall: HEAVY AS HELL!!!!! But sticky like a booger as someone said earlier :thumbsup:

S 12 front

any old thing you want on the back. my 600 would find traction with a racing slick mounted

jeremiah

Cisco, If you run at least 14lbs in it the "squishy" feeling goes away. I tried running it at 10-12 lbs, no dice..squirm like a worm... :thumbsup:

Hey man, I'm doing the same kind of riding type you are and I'm running a Kenda Carlsbad and it is great in intermediate to hard terrain, wearing way better than I expected and the price is good and before that I had the Maxxcross IT and it was great as well. I've been running a Maxxcross IT front it works and wears well.