Lost The Frame Oil Drain Plug.

I just wanted to post up a little reminder to check your drain plugs. I normally check and recheck mine, but the one time that you don't. I made it through 5 laps of practice, 2 of my 4 motos at 7 laps each, then 5 laps into my third moto of the day and that was it.

My wife said that from where she was watching, she saw me come around for the triple and there was no smoke. But she said that after the long sweeper where she could see me again, it was smoking like a freight train. I didn't notice anything was wrong at first. She looked at me really weird as I came over the tabletop right by her, but I thought that it was because I whipped it pretty hard over the jump. I went off the next big jump and had to get on the brakes, but they were not responding. A spectator waved me down and I killed the motor.

I had a new drain plug, oil filter and oil delivered. I gave the bike a quick once over, then fired it back up. No noise or smoke. I rode it around pretty hard and it didn't fail me. So I rode it the next day for 4 motos and never any trouble. When I got home, I tore the cams out to see if there was any damage.

The moral of the story is:

Some people are just plain lucky, and it was my turn. ?

Let me know if there is anything you can think of that I should check before the next set of motos.

Nope,

The bottom of the bolt has to seal oil at the drain hole. Any kind of lock washer would allow oil to run right past it.

The copper washer is used as a high pressure gasket. That is, it is capable of being placed under high torque pressure without squirting out of place. Bolts manufactured as drain plugs have a wider, washer-like face onthe bottom to spread the sealing forces out over the washer better.

Truthfully, you could use a plain bolt with a flat washer until you get the right one, just don't think that it isn't going to leak a little in the meantime.