HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
InternalCombustion

Connecting a digital tach into the XR650R wiring

4 posts in this topic

Yeah, I know, "You do not need a tach on the R, just use the rev limiter...". But I like tachs, I like to know what my engine is doing.

Anyway I bought a DataTool Rev Light that is a strip of programable, microprocessor-driven LEDs and am having fits getting it to work properly. I am using the blue/yellow lead off of the bike's pulse generator, and it drives a dwell-tach just fine. But when I try to drive the RevLight I get really irratic response from it. I think the problem may be the battery and ground I am sending to the Rev Light (from the UFO E-Line DS wiring harness).

Anyway the question is this: has anybody installed a tach (digital or analog) on an XR650R? If so, what model tach are you using and what power and signal leads did you use?

Thanks,

has anybody installed a tach (digital or analog) on an XR650R? If so, what model tach are you using and what power and signal leads did you use?

I've installed tach/hour meters on all our bikes. The pickup lead simply wraps around the spark plug wire (inductive pickup). The display is small, but I really only use the tach for setting the idle speed. I use the hour meter as a guide for my maintenance intervals. Here's a link to the same type of tach/hour meter I bought, but I only paid $22 or $25 for mine.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/hour_meter.cfm

About the erratic tach display, I had an 8000rpm mini-electric tach that was a perfect match cosmetically to Baja-Designs chrome analog dual sport kit speedo. I got it from a "Big Iron" catalog, I believe, at the local Honda shop. It also had a very erratic response which turned out to be a broken off capacitor from its' circuit board. I purchased another of the same type and it works fine (considering the vibes from a big thumper) It has four wires: "Red" to ign. on 12v, "Blue" to lamp on, "Black" to ground, and "Green" to the negative terminal of the coil (I soldered in a 1200ohm resistor on this lead) I hope this helps.

Sorry about the repost but the first one didn't seem to take!

About the erratic tach display, I had an 8000rpm mini-electric tach that was a perfect match cosmetically to Baja-Designs chrome analog dual sport kit speedo. I got it from a "Big Iron" catalog, I believe, at the local Honda shop. It also had a very erratic response which turned out to be a broken off capacitor from its' circuit board. I purchased another of the same type and it works fine (considering the vibes from a big thumper) It has four wires: "Red" to ign. on 12v, "Blue" to lamp on, "Black" to ground, and "Green" to the negative terminal of the coil (I soldered in a 1200ohm resistor on this lead) I hope this helps.