Connecting a digital tach into the XR650R wiring

Yeah, I know, "You do not need a tach on the R, just use the rev limiter...". But I like tachs, I like to know what my engine is doing.

Anyway I bought a DataTool Rev Light that is a strip of programable, microprocessor-driven LEDs and am having fits getting it to work properly. I am using the blue/yellow lead off of the bike's pulse generator, and it drives a dwell-tach just fine. But when I try to drive the RevLight I get really irratic response from it. I think the problem may be the battery and ground I am sending to the Rev Light (from the UFO E-Line DS wiring harness).

Anyway the question is this: has anybody installed a tach (digital or analog) on an XR650R? If so, what model tach are you using and what power and signal leads did you use?

Thanks,

has anybody installed a tach (digital or analog) on an XR650R? If so, what model tach are you using and what power and signal leads did you use?

I've installed tach/hour meters on all our bikes. The pickup lead simply wraps around the spark plug wire (inductive pickup). The display is small, but I really only use the tach for setting the idle speed. I use the hour meter as a guide for my maintenance intervals. Here's a link to the same type of tach/hour meter I bought, but I only paid $22 or $25 for mine.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/hour_meter.cfm

About the erratic tach display, I had an 8000rpm mini-electric tach that was a perfect match cosmetically to Baja-Designs chrome analog dual sport kit speedo. I got it from a "Big Iron" catalog, I believe, at the local Honda shop. It also had a very erratic response which turned out to be a broken off capacitor from its' circuit board. I purchased another of the same type and it works fine (considering the vibes from a big thumper) It has four wires: "Red" to ign. on 12v, "Blue" to lamp on, "Black" to ground, and "Green" to the negative terminal of the coil (I soldered in a 1200ohm resistor on this lead) I hope this helps.

Sorry about the repost but the first one didn't seem to take!

About the erratic tach display, I had an 8000rpm mini-electric tach that was a perfect match cosmetically to Baja-Designs chrome analog dual sport kit speedo. I got it from a "Big Iron" catalog, I believe, at the local Honda shop. It also had a very erratic response which turned out to be a broken off capacitor from its' circuit board. I purchased another of the same type and it works fine (considering the vibes from a big thumper) It has four wires: "Red" to ign. on 12v, "Blue" to lamp on, "Black" to ground, and "Green" to the negative terminal of the coil (I soldered in a 1200ohm resistor on this lead) I hope this helps.