HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thecirque

Horn Hook Up for Dual Sporting...Battery or Hard Wire..HELP!

7 posts in this topic

Someone tell me how I wire a up horn. I'd prefer to use the smallest battery I can to drive a 12volt 1.5 amp horn. I can't get anything to work. I'm not an electrician by any means. Can anyone direct me? Wiring diagram or something. I tried to even break into the headlight wiring, but apparently that's not enough juice to drive the horn?

what kind of bike, do you have a battery? what have you tried so far? what DS equip have you added?

I used a buzzer and button from Radio Shack, driven by a rechargeable NiCad battery pack from an RC car, zip-tied behind the headlight.

Totally self-contained/removeable. Battery charge lasts all season on 1 charge.

Or you can get a high-output stator (on my list to do).

Horns only work well with DC power. First go from the battery to the horn. Then from the horn to a switch. Then from the switch to battery ground. This should get people out of your way.

Big Danner....How much battery do I need to drive this horn. Does a 12 volt, square batter do the trick? DO I need a RC car battery?

BrianVT....Can you give me more detail on what you purchased and how you wired this up? This sounds like what I'm trying to do. I bought a dual sport horn and a Kill switch as a horn button, but I can't get it to work. I'll go buy RAdio Shack items if you can help understand.

Just got back in town.

I had a 9.6v battery and charger for an RC car. It looks like 8 AA batteries shrink-wrapped. I bought a push button and "buzzer" out of Radio Shack's drawers that have switches, etc. I cut and drilled a piece of plastic to hold the button and it is held by the throttle disc bolt. I connected a wire to each of the button's terminals, connected the horn in-line on one of the wires, and attached male bullet connectors to the 2 ends. The bullet connectors fit snuggly into the existing plug of the battery.

I hope that's clear enough. I might shoot a picture for you at work Monday.