HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
T_Reiner

In the field clutch rebuild on a yz400 What do I need?

10 posts in this topic

My bike is stuck somewhere and the only way to get it out is to replace the clutch plates and ride it out.

Unbelievable but true. Pushing or towing it out is not an option. I'll tell ya where after I get it out.

What tools will I need, I only have a manual for a 426 and I think the clutchs are slightly different. The 426 manual shows 6 springs and the parts guy said I only need 5? I'm hoping I can just replace the plates and springs without having to pull the whole housing.

The parts will be here tomorrow I need advice fast. Anyone that has rebuild one please let me know what tools I'll need and what the procedure is.

Thanks

p.s. it was a fun day until my clutch burned up and I had to hoof it up that hill.

No this is not a joke

1- clutch tool,1-8mm t handle or socket with extension 1-10mm same 1- phillips srewdrivers torque wrench if u desire or tighten snug with t handle torque to 7ft lbs on clutch springs, clutch with plates, 1.5 quarts of 10-40 oil 1-12mm socket to remove oilplug and 1 clutch cover gasket or take yamabond with u and one back pack. p.s. u need only 5 springs and boltsand 1 screw driver and something to pound down the retaining ring on the clutch nutand sumtin to remove the retaining nut with

1- clutch tool,1-8mm t handle or socket with extension 1-10mm same 1- phillips srewdrivers torque wrench if u desire or tighten snug with t handle torque to 7ft lbs on clutch springs, clutch with plates, 1.5 quarts of 10-40 oil 1-12mm socket to remove oilplug and 1 clutch cover gasket or take yamabond with u and one back pack. p.s. u need only 5 springs and boltsand 1 screw driver and something to pound down the retaining ring on the clutch nutand sumtin to remove the retaining nut with

I was planning on capping the vent and laying the bike on it's side so I wounldn't have to drain the oil

When you say retaining nut? do I even have to pop off the clip?, from this blow up it looks like I can just remove the nuts that hold in the springs and the presure plate and all the plates will all come out

Do I need to remove anything else?

is it the same as this only with 5 springs

clutch blow up.jpg

if u just want to replace clutch no need to remove nut just the 5 bolts that hold clutch together no need for clutch tool u still need 8-mm, 10-mm ,gasket,the whole clutch,u should soak the clutch in oiland thats pretty much all u need and bobs ur uncle

Cool, thanks

that's what it looked like to me too

I just haven't had this apart on this bike yet

I'm glad I won't have to hike in allot of tools

question on the schematic in post on part #10 i think that is ball bearing. in clymers manual that i have they are not showing a bearing there on 98 yz400f and during my several clutch replace ments i have not put one in

I went in today. You were right on the money my freind

an 8mm, 10mm extention and a 1/4 drive rachet is all I needed.

Bike is home save and sound now.

p.s. if any on wants to know where it was? it was at the bottom of "Snowy Trail" in Los Padres NF, just west of Hungrey Valley. The only double black diamond trail in the forest. It wasn't that bad of a hike in(a little over a mile) until I heard the Mountain lion grawling at me :thumbsup:, I guess he didn't like me walkin up his hill, I found a differt route around "his hill". True story, ever try working on your bike while you looking over your shoulder the whole time??, I need a beer :devil: