XR650L 2001 Throttle Hesitation

Just installed a Big Gun Race Series pipe and head pipe. I also removed the emissions and the charcoal canister. When I give it immediate gas while going any speed, it hesitates before taking off. Any suggestions? Does removing the emissions really boost HP?

Does removing the emissions really boost HP?

Nope, just drops some weight and looks better. It also helps with the popping on decel. Have you re-jetted? You need to if you haven't, that will help with the throttle hesitation there are a bunch of carb things to do that make the bike run waaaaaay better. Do a search on this forum and you'll find a ton of advice on jetting the L.

Yes i would definently rejet if I were you it makes a world of difference. Also if you havnt already switched to an aftermarket airfilter such as an UNI or Twin Air filter I would do that too it makes the bike run soooo much better also make lots more power. Also dont forget to take off the airbox snorkel.:thumbsup:

Ditto the other replies, and while rejetting don't forget to shim the stock needle and drill the holes in the vacuum slide out. Makes a biiiig difference.

-Dave

Ditto the other replies, and while rejetting don't forget to shim the stock needle and drill the holes in the vacuum slide out. Makes a biiiig difference.

-Dave

Couldn't say it better myself, you will notice very little difference with jetting. HUUUUGE difference after jetting. Use a 55 pilot, shim the needle with a .020 washer, and increase the main to a 158 or 160. Fuel screw at around 2.5 turns out to start and change that filter. You will be happy with the results. :thumbsup:

Thanks, will re-jet