Edelbrock

I got to run my bike yesterday for the first time with the Edelbrock. I put 75 miles on my bike at Hollister Hills and I'm still not dialed in yet. Right now I'm wishing I had my stock carb back on. I read all of the posts involving Edelbrocks here and have read about similar problems. I removed and replaced the seat and tank no less then 10 times making adjustments and still can't get it right! I was hoping with the Edelbrock's external adjustments I wouldn't have to do that, but oh well. Mid range and top end felt pretty strong so I kept richening the needle until I went all the way to the right. I pulled the plug and it was black and smelled like fuel. There was never any noticeable black smoke coming from the exhaust. I kept leaning it out from that point and low end felt better but lost a lot of the mid-top pull. I kept trying to compensate with the accelerator pump but I still get an accasional bog/flat spot which I thought the pumper carb would eliminate. Now don't get me wrong, I think the fit and finish of the carb is excellent and I know if I had the knowledge this carb would work great,but it sure is FRUSTRATING! I asked Mr. Barnum about the differend needles when I was ordering the carb and my recollection is that the carb provides such a large range of adjustability that a needle change probably would not be required. I started with the original needle 10-12 clicks from full rich and 2.5 turns out on the a.p. as mentioned in another post, and later tried 1.5 turns on the a.p. as mentioned in the instructions.

If someone can tell me what settings would be similar to the stock carb with this set-up I'd be apreciative:

stock carb, 185 main, 70s pilot, B53F needle 2nd groove from bottom.

Thanks.

I love the Edelbrock--have had almost zero problems with it-love the adjustability of it--for adjusting it i never take the tank off, even the 6 gallon Acerbis just gets lifted up a bit from the rear to reach the knob...

Two sentences:

1) adjust the needle until the bike pops once or twice on hard deceleration

2) adjust the pumper with the tank on, the motor running, unitil it snaps to life instantly. Just there, not past that crisp snap from idle to 1/8th/1/4 throttle

It takes the rest of us 5-10 minutes to do this. SOme of us change pipes, air filters (and engines) every few weeks...and the adjustabililty of the Edelbrock is a god send. Try converting your FCR from uncorked baja race bike to USFS legal plugged pig at 6000 feet in 8 minutes...Only the Edelbrock allows that.

Take a deep breath-make sure everything else on the bike is working correctly. Assuming you have the 4.6 or 4.3 tanks - dont remove -- just loosen it, and lift it from the rear. Stock tank or 3.2 wont need any fussing at all unless you have really small fingers.

Just remeber what your stock carb did when you leaned over to lube the chain-pissed on you: and as for the FCR--its great for motarding--lots of issues off road--like it doesnt fit!

The Edelbrock is an awesome unit--and if you have basic mechanical skills--you can get it running great in minutes.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it another try. As far as basic mechanical skill, it was easier for me to install and tune a complete fuel injection conversion on a V-8 then get the Edelbrock tuned! I do run the stock tank but can't get my hand to fit underneath the tank to reach the needle adjustment.

Ramcc4x4,

I live in the bay area also.

It took me awhile to get mine dialed, frustrating, to say the least!

I wound up with the middle (stock) needle at 13 clicks out, screw at 21/2 turns out.

Been working fine so far...

Stick with it, it'll happen..

If it's a recent carb it should have come with a 19 needle installed. I run mine at 16 clicks from full rich. Yours sounds like it's running rich, Mike's advice is the way to go, I dial it out until it pops and then click back in one click. I've run mine with 3 different pipes and I haven't had to change the pumper, I've only had to turn the needle. I also have to turn it in a click or two to run it in the snow. Way easy to deal with. I love the way my bike continues to run lying on it's side when I have to run to pull my son's XR80 off of his leg!

--- My bike has been at Rob Barnums for three months! I was to get a Edelbrock! Now the bike is close to done (had a major set-back) and now I don't get the Edelbrock because he sold them all to you guys off the group! He had some when I gave the bike to him and now none! ?

When Mike Kay talks, people listen!

He was talkin about how great the Edelbrock was, and now they are sold out!

The Barnum/Qadsan pipe is already sold out, and it's not built yet!

PS: I heard that assh0le, Irondude, bought the last Edelbrock. :devil: He's probably going to try to mount it on his Pumpkin. ?

A friend of ours was going to order an Edelbrock for their new XR400 and from what I know, Edelbrock has run out of certain parts to finish their carbs (poor planning at Edelbrock), so they're waiting on parts before they can finish building the carbs to send to their dealers and the parts are something like 7 to 8 weeks out...ouch!!! I'd bet there's a few Edelbrock dealers who aren't too happy about this.

I told myself I wouldn't say anything till the bike was broke in and had some miles on it. This way it would be a complete story with all the facts. I have been keeping track. The story is always better if you wait and ride a perfect bike, then if you write it while you are waiting for it.

yeah it turns out Irondude is all over KTMTalk now that he has defected and they are buying lots of Edelbrocks and now thanks to that ahole the things are on big time back order AND the price might be going up!

Word has it he is consulting with Aprillia to race the 2 cylinder 450 in the Tecate Hair Scrambles....and for sure he has talked to the guys in Hesperia about racing the deisel Kawasaki 650!

More importantly--Bruce--dude--a moment of silence.

I wont ask. But jeez i wanna ask. But i wont. oh jeez.

He replaced a main baring that was bad and now the bike is done......he is tuning up to perfection to be picked up tomorrow ? He is back ordering the carburetor for me, he thought he had more coming and then; like you said, Edelbrock can't deliver......... He had lots of orders lately! :thinking:I think a little talk on these groups can make a good business better or......I think when the world is watching something always goes wrong......He said, he has never seen a main baring go bad....it's a newer bike and all and it was great before the bike came apart :devil: it was good he caught it :D He had to do the big tear down to make sure all was right, that would have been a major bummer if he just let that go by because it didn't sound that bad and I was out 80 miles from nowhere and the thing came loose...... :snore: he isn't even charging me for it :D all the new gaskets to do it all over again so, it doesn't leak. The extra time was do to him having to get the Corillo rod from XR's Only. They are the ones that had it made for the XR650R so, their the supplier ? and you know how I feel about them? He is working on getting his own allotment so, not to have to wait on them :awww: the Baja 500, the insurance adjuster and the three gears. It seems that there are more 680's wanting to be done? Being ready for them is a big chore :D I will give it some good miles and tell the Good, Bad, and Ugly of riding a XR680R Baja bike :awww:

Awesome!

And thatta boy Rob! 90 days is a wait....but sometimes for sure it is just waiting for the parts to be available...pahtz is pahtz.

You are gonna LOVE that thing. Its really amazing what a well tuned 680 with all the bells and whistles feels like. What all did ya have done? Nip and tuck here, little more there...inquireing minds want to know...(even if they cant spell) Did you shave the flywheel? Have it balanced? Mid range cam or high end? Time to get a bigger front brake--cause that first corner is gonna get there a lot quicker!

You gotta be pumped. Riding season is just a few weeks away...and you gonna make The Big Boar roar!!!! ?

Ramcc4x4,

I live in the bay area also.

It took me awhile to get mine dialed, frustrating, to say the least!

I wound up with the middle (stock) needle at 13 clicks out, screw at 21/2 turns out.

Been working fine so far...

Stick with it, it'll happen..

I'm installing mine as we speak and so I'll go just what you recommend, I'll report on the combo, 13 and 2 1/2

Word has it he is consulting with Aprillia to race the 2 cylinder 450 in the Tecate Hair Scrambles...and for sure he has talked to the guys in Hesperia about racing the deisel Kawasaki 650!

That Irondude should be racing a three stroke :devil:

Would a twin four-stroke be an 8-stroke........... ?

I have the bike back. It major sucks with the bald tire I have on it in the dirt LOL ;o) I have a near worthless IRC MB5 on it and the bike doesn't go anywhere! It at least would hook up a little before ? On pavement oh no watch out this Oinker is a squealer, I have to learn to ride all over again :devil:!!!!! The engine is real tight and won't quite stand up in forth yet without help. It moved the whole rang of power about one gear. It picks the tire up in fourth like it did as a 650 in third. I am running 14/47 right now. There is no need for first! I'll let it break in before I tell all! I am going to break it in nice!!! ?

MikeKay you wouldn't by chance know Irondude/Ironman would you :awww: