HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allan68

Air Filter Cleaning

7 posts in this topic

What do you guys use to clean your air filters?

Do not want to use gasoline or kerosene.

Al

I initially clean mine with solvent. Then I clean them in water + dishwashing soap and then dry them thoroughly before they're oiled. After thoroughly working the oil in and sqeezing out as much oil as I can, I then I place them in plastic ziplock bags and let them hang for a few days so the excess oil runs to the bottom pocket of the bag. After draining out the accumulated oil, they're ready for use. I typically do ~12 to ~18 air filters at a time.

NO TOIL!

Once you go with their system you will never use anything else. I wash mine in my kitchen sink with warm water and no gloves on.

Plus their filter is the best for our bike.

No Toil is a GREAT product.

A mechanic put me onto this. A can of preen (cloths stain remover) works great, easy too. just spray it on, need it into the filter add a little water and keep needing it then rinse it with water. If still a little oily repeat. Filters come up spotless.

An alternative to kerosene that doesnt smell nearly as bad and actually evaporates is a kerosene-based (key word "based") parts washer solvent. Its clear, fairly easy to clean up, and cuts the crud. I think I washed the UNI on my last bike in a bucket of hot water with alot of dish soap. Maybe twice, I dont recall.