HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NWetRider

how much work and $$ to replace valve guides?

3 posts in this topic

94 xr600. I would probably not remove the valves myself, just take the head into the shop. Any idea what kind of money I am looing at for this and any other parts needed to put it all back together? The engine does have to come out to do this right?

I have searched old threads and I think it is the guides. When I start it cold there is nothing for about 5 seconds then the smoke screen begins. Much more when I blip the throttle. It's gone in about 2 minutes and the bike doesn't use any oil. Is this guides for sure? I'd hate to do all the work and have it still not be fixed.

When I bought the bike it did not do this the first 2 rides. Had always had bel ray semi sythetic in it but I couldn't find any so I used regular castrol 4t oil. Then it started smoking while cold. A guy I rode with told me his xr600 did the same thing when he tried non-synthetic oil but once he switched back it went away. I changed to the bel ray but there is still some smoke, although a lot less. I've thought about changing it one more time (since the first change couldn't have replaced all the non-synthetic that was in it) but have the feeling this is not going to fix it. The bike was bored, new piston, rockers in 02.

I would just try new stem seals at first,ya can put those on without removing the eng. or cyl.head :thumbsup: