correct starting procedure on 2002 YZ 426F?

what's the right way to start theese bikes? how do you get it at TDC? and is the red knob by the carb the hot start button?

Here's what I did on my 02 426 until I installed the decompression cam.

1. Without the compression lever pulled, stroke the kick starter until you hit stiff resistance. This is where you've hit compression.

2. Let the kick starter rebound after #1 to where it is completely vertical.

3. Pull in the compression lever and (this is the tricky part) go down one piston plunge. You kind of have to feel it but it is usually between 1/4 and 1/2 of a kick. You have to do it softly and 'feel it'. You'll feel a little bit of resistance and then it will free up. Stop when it frees up.

4. Release the compression lever and let the kick starter move back to vertical.

5. Give er' a hard kick and it should start.

These directions are completely different from the Yammy shop guys that I bought it from. It took them 30 minutes to get the bike started after I bought it off the showroom floor(was that a hint?). I found a video on the internet that gave these same directions listed above. After I figured it out I never had a problem starting it as long as I had something to lean against. I'm too short (5'7") to do this on the ground reliably which is why I went to the decomp cam.

Some other TT'ers might have some better directions but this is what worked for me.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, red knob on carb is the hot start.

Put an 03 450F exhaust cam in and forget about it!

The only way to start the bike!

-pull the choke

-pull the decompression lever

-kick the bike over 20 times with the lever held in

-release the decompression lever

-let the kickstart return to the top

-chop the gass 2 times

-kick it till it stops

-pull the decompression lever in 1/4 of an inch

-kick the kickstarter one inch

-return to the top

-let go of the decompression lever

-kick it as hard as you can

If it dose not fire first time repeat this over and over untill it dose. If it still wont fire somthing is wrong.

-kick it till it stops

-pull the decompression lever in 1/4 of an inch

-kick the kickstarter one inch

-return to the top

-let go of the decompression lever

-kick it as hard as you can

:thumbsup::devil: