MISSION POSSIBLE: Starting an 01 WR426 - Thanks!

Now that I have avoid the throttle like the plague, the bikes fires right up. Thanks for all the advice!

It took me over 45 minutes to start my new stock WR426 today. That is nearly 10 minutes longer than my old personal "best" time of 35 minutes :devil:. What am I doign wrong???

I am pulling out the black nob, kicking it through a few times with the decompression lever pulled, bringing it to top dead center (I think), giving two quick twists of the throttle, kcking until reisitance, pulling the decomp. lever, kicking again aboout 1-2 inches, brining the kickstater back up and then giving it a kick.

The best I can figure is that a slower kick (rather than a quick smash kick) seemed to work.

I'll spare everyone a repeat of all my cuss words in frustration ? Any ideas????????

Thanks for the help :awww:

Too much throttle. Whenever I have myself a starting workout it as been 100% of the time because I wetfouled the plug for some reason or another. Its a hard one to beat because when its wetfouled it WILL NOT START no matter what you do, well at least not in my experience. The ONLY remedy is to pull the plug. When I do that it fires up first kick. problem is I'm stubborn and I hate the procedure to change plugs...what a PITA.

also...

- Make sure your air filter is not clogged

- Make sure your squirt isnt a 4 second monster ! BK Mod done ?? - 2 x 4 second squirts will really do it!

- was your carb cleaned recently ?

- have you changed your jetting ?

Try without choke and no twists of throttle and gradually build up step by step by adding slightly more gas. Do this sensibly giving each procedure its fair due.

- just kicking with tdc etc

- kicking with choke

- kicking with choke and a quick and slight twist of throttle

- etcc

good luck

I'm not familiar with the model, but if you have a hot start lever try pulling it when you try to start it. When I got my bike, the fuel screw was so far in it would only start with the choke pulled and the hot start pulled.

If that doesn't do it, you may be too rich on the idle circuit. Then try the hot start without the choke to lean it out.

If either of those work, try either rejetting or adjustment of the carb.

Hi WR Tree,

First, the twist of the throttle is a definate no-no. I keep my right hand off the throttle until the bike is running just to remove the tempation to give it a bit of gas while kicking (2 stroke habit is hard to break). One other thing is keeping fresh fuel in the bike. If the fuel gets a bit stale (dosen't take long) it will be a bugger to start also.

The way I remember to avoid the throttle mistake is to grip the front brake while kicking... can't be tempted to twist throttle when holding front brake!

It's easy when you know how...

The BK mod is an absolute must. My 2001 squirted for 4 1/2 seconds and I fouled plugs constantly.

I kicked and kicked and kicked when I first got my WR. My buddy who has a YZ400 came over, kicked it once and said change the plug. First kick it lit off with a new one. It's the thing you should always do before you wear yourself out.

Like everyone else said, DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE. I put my hand on the throttle cables while starting to avoid accidentaly turning it.

From what I hear I was doing a major rookie move by twisting the throttle. I will try this evening again but this time NO THROTTLE!

I was doing the same "rookie move" also by giving it 2 blips of throttle when cold because that's what the previous owners did to start it when it was cold. Doesn't work AT ALL for me.

If you ever do flood it for any reason and it won't start, try this. I've had really good results (with any flooded 4 stroke) by opening the throttle all the way, holding it open and kicking it through about 10-12 times with the decomp pulled in, and then going through the bikes normal starting routine. Usually all bikes will fire up right away, or eventually start by repeating this process. Give it a try sometime, cold or hot.

NO THROTTLE is the way of the WRF.

do what Kieth says and go to dubachracing.com and watch the videos. I alomost died the first time I tried to start my 400.I thought I was paying enough attention when the previous owner was showing me. Fires right up now that I know what to do. Watch the videos.

It took me over 45 minutes to start my new stock WR426 today. That is nearly 10 minutes longer than my old personal "best" time of 35 minutes ?. What am I doign wrong???

I am pulling out the black nob, kicking it through a few times with the decompression lever pulled, bringing it to top dead center (I think), giving two quick twists of the throttle, kcking until reisitance, pulling the decomp. lever, kicking again aboout 1-2 inches, brining the kickstater back up and then giving it a kick.

The best I can figure is that a slower kick (rather than a quick smash kick) seemed to work.

I'll spare everyone a repeat of all my cuss words in frustration :devil: Any ideas????????

Thanks for the help :awww:

hmm.. personally, if its more than 20 kicks your not gonna get it usually is what i see

me, my problem was a couple things... in socal here, with decent weather most days, it really never was 'cold' enough to really need the choke to start.. a twist and a half or two of gas and the right kick will light it up way easier than choking it from the start for me... then once its lit, i choke it cuz it'll idle low or stall right at first

the other thing i've discovered is that 1-2 inches of kick to get top dead center (or whatever its purpose is) was the key... and even though it never seemed like i did, i think now that i would kick it past too far and it'd never like to start that way... i think you wanna advance it just enough to be able to kick it i'd say, and to me that seems to be before TDC, but it works like a charm

i can start mine in sandel's now though... and i use such a slow kick its almost comical but i'm here to tell you, it works every time now and i haven't used up a plug yet?

learn the drill, skip the choke, and reduce your 'advance' kick and see if that helps

The only way to start the bike!

-pull the choke/hot start

-pull the decompression lever

-kick the bike over 20 times with the lever held in

-release the decompression lever

-let the kickstart return to the top

-chop the gass 2 times

-kick it till it stops

-pull the decompression lever in 1/4 of an inch

-kick the kickstarter one inch

-return to the top

-let go of the decompression lever

-hand off the gas

-kick it as hard as you can

If it dose not fire first time repeat this over and over untill it dose. If it still wont fire somthing is wrong.

-kick it till it stops

-pull the decompression lever in 1/4 of an inch

-kick the kickstarter one inch

-return to the top

-let go of the decompression lever

-Hand off the gas

-kick it as hard as you can

?:devil: