HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrtimely

New '02 YZ426F Owner...Input?

6 posts in this topic

Just picked up 4-strokes for me and the boys, our first thumpers. I am used to 2-stroke MX'ers. Lots of good feedback here at TT, I appreciate all the forums to reference. I would like to be able to race AND trail ride the 426F. Sounds like gearing and autoclutch or flywheel wt would do the trick, along with various guards. Comments on what to check on the bike being it is a used bike? Good website to get mods? Ways to make it start easier? As usual, input appreciated.

2002 YZ426F - stock

2003 TTR125L - stock

The 02 is a good bike, I got mine new in 02 and have not had any problems with it. The auto clutch is the way to go I recomend the rekluse , If you plan on riding in the woods then gearing it up ( adding up to 4 teeth) on the rear sprocket helps move the power more towards the start of the RPM's. Anything you want to know about it, just type it in the search icon, lots of info in there. :thumbsup::devil:

Read the 450 exhaust cam post at the top of this forum. This will make you a much happier 426 owner!! I have had the cam installed for a year and a few months now. No downside what so ever! :thumbsup:

123.jpg

Just picked up 4-strokes for me and the boys, our first thumpers. I am used to 2-stroke MX'ers. Lots of good feedback here at TT, I appreciate all the forums to reference. I would like to be able to race AND trail ride the 426F. Sounds like gearing and autoclutch or flywheel wt would do the trick, along with various guards. Comments on what to check on the bike being it is a used bike? Good website to get mods? Ways to make it start easier? As usual, input appreciated.

2002 YZ426F - stock

2003 TTR125L - stock

Be careful of just putting around on this bike you will overheat and lose water,to help with this get a good coolant and up the radiator cap to new one(1.6 kawasaki ) this should do the trick.As far as starting it they all have their little tricks hell mine you have to pull the hot start button and the choke out when you first start it go figure? Any way your in the right spot to find out good info! :thumbsup:

mrtimely,

I have had my '02 426 since May of 2002. I purchased it new and I love it. I would recommend a DR. D hot start kit for your new scoot. Clutches and flywheel weights will depend on where and how you ride. The 450 cam swap is the best money you can spend on a 426 for pure ease of use and less frustration. Like the earlier post said do a search and also go to the Motoman393 website to get some top notch tips on how to make a 426 easier to live with on a daily basis. Good luck and welcome to Thumper Talk!.

Regards,

Bill

I have an 02 426, purchased new. Be sure to Red Locktite the sprocket bolts. If they become loose and the bolt holes in hub start to ovalize, you will never keep them tight again. I broke my hub on the last lap at the Honda Classic Hare Scrambles in Hollister due to the bolts loosening. Had to replace the hub. Have it all Red Locktighted now since the hub was new and no problems. Be sure to locktight the shroud and fender, bolts too. Otherwise they work themselves loose.

When I first got the bike, I could hardly start it. But after reading Dubach's section on the Yamaha website and a the engine broke in, it starts first kick almost everytime.

You've purchased a good bike and should be very happy with it. My next mod will be the auto-decompression cam. Already got the Dr. D bar mounted hot-start lever. Check out ProMoto Billet (PMB) for a spark arrestor and quiet insert. It works in the stock muffler which is much stronger and better fit than the FMF Q I tried. The FMF Q vibrated apart, had poor mounting and burnt the fender.

Hope all this helps!