HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WRider995

Best degreaser

14 posts in this topic

For those of you that like your cycle to be nice and clean, the best stuff I've come across is Castrol Super Clean. It comes in a gallon sized coolant-style purple container. You can get all that chain fling off (i use an old toothbrush for the tight spots) simply by mixing it 50/50 with water. Don't leave it on long though since it'll sort of discolor aluminum if you forget to rinse it. It's awesome on rims and spokes. I keep the hose right there as you go. The stuff works and it's relatively cheap ($8 for a gallon). Avoid your bearing areas though if you can. I've used it on driveways and car engines, too. :thumbsup:

Simple Green works well and so does Dawn Dishwashing Detergent that is slightly diluted so you can spray it on. Neither really harms any surfaces.

My Wife and I used to use Castrol Super Clean, but have been using Mean Green lately, seems to work better than Simple Green, we don't let it sit on the plastic for very long though, pretty strong stuff.

anything with sodium metasillicate in it will work great. That is the active ingredient in many of the degreasers.

Car wash and wax and sometimes a brush is all I've needed This is Southern Calif. Not much mud out here, except for the MX tracks.

Years ago I read an MX article recommending to spray "Pam", the cooking non-stick stuff, under your fenders so mud will clean right off. I did this in the winter time after a rain (rare) ride, and it worked, but some got on my header and my bike smelled like a KFC rolling fried chicken factory for the first hour or so. :thumbsup:

I am tossing another vote for simple green on the table... but word of caution for it: it disolves the adhesive on your graphics.

I know most of you go with the Simple Green. I've got some too. HOWEVER, being a man that has to see result myself, I did a test. I had just bought an old used tire at a gas station to install on a utility trailer. The tire was nasty from years of sitting. When I got it home I noticed it was a white-wall tire. I sprayed Simple Green on a third of the tire, Castrol Super clean on a third and Wesleys Tire White on the remaining third. I waited the recommended 5 minutes and simply sprayed off with a hose, no scrubbing. [incert drum-roll] Castrol Super clean by far was the best cleaner followed by S.Green then Wesleys. Of coarse, after scrubbing they all were great. Also this was for nasty tires, not greasy parts. (Hopefully you don't have that much grease on your bike :thumbsup:) Also this test did not take into consideration the environment. S.G is by far the best for Mother Earth.

Damn.... I need a hobby. :devil:

Years ago I read an MX article recommending to spray "Pam", the cooking non-stick stuff, under your fenders so mud will clean right off. I did this in the winter time after a rain (rare) ride, and it worked, but some got on my header and my bike smelled like a KFC rolling fried chicken factory for the first hour or so. :thumbsup:

Lots of mud in Ohio so I spray the plastic with foaming tire shine. I works and makes your plastic look shiny, but will attract dust. Also do not get it on you brakes.

The "Pam" thing works OK, but like the guy from Ohio said, our mud on the east end is usually a little clayey and sticky . . . kinda like trying to wash peanut butter off your plastic!!

I think somebody once sprayed armorall (sp) on the underside of their fenders to ward off mudd, but got some on their tyres too ending up with a more then usually sporty ride on the tarmac.!!