xr600 question

Guys, i've seen a couple of postings telling me to tune the fuel mixture screw with, let's say, 1.5 turns, 2.0, 2.5 etc.

If you go from one tip of a screw driver, what will be ONE TURN, a 180 degree turn, or a 360 degree turn?

thanks guys!

cheers mate! thanks for the help. ?

you might be able to help me with finetuning my xr as well.

Tried a lot to make this piece of ... run perfect. The problem now is that it runs ok, in mid and top range, but i have to let it idle quite high otherwise it just pops and stalls. Got the needle in the middle position, fuel mixture 2.5 turns out a 65s and a 165 jet. Air filter is clean, snorkel removed, it's got the stock exhaust with the exessive welds grinded away from the manifold and i took out the SQUARE piece of metal (the one attached with 2 bolts) in the muffler. Spark plug, heat code 9 from ngk has got an almost white tip. Tried a 170 main jet but then it just pops a lot in the muffler on decelleration. It looked like it had the best power whith a 70/153 with the needle one position higher than the middle. The problem was that when you drive it with 'half throtlle' it started to hesitate after a couple of seconds. If you 'kick' the throttle it picked up perfectly. I'm living in an area near sea level.

is there anybody out there who can help me? :devil:

Can that decompression device be a problem as well? (when idling)

92 engine

Hey Vincent,

I have a 93 XR600R and it will idle all day long. No hesitatoin or popping or anything bad. Just strong smooth power any any RPM and power setting. Keep trying, I dont know what my carb settings are or anything, but I can tell you it is possible to get it running so sweet you will love your XR. ?

Run your needle on the bottom clip position if your plug is white. That is the position that is the richest. I had a 96 XR 600 that I could not get rich enough no matter how rich I went on the pilot or main. Lift the needle all the way up and then jet it.

Run your needle on the bottom clip position if your plug is white. That is the position that is the richest. I had a 96 XR 600 that I could not get rich enough no matter how rich I went on the pilot or main. Lift the needle all the way up and then jet it.

That sound about right, it does sound lean and I did have the same problem myself. If I remember there are 5 notches on the needle ? I would try #4 from the top first.

What gas are up running? You need at least 92 octang per the manual and the bike runs best at around 94-96.