Noise Level

I've got a 2000 WR400 w/ a white bro's series e exhaust. The bike seems lowd compared to most others. The guy I bought it from says it's quieter than stock. Does anyone know if this combination meets California's 96 db limit?

trust me itd be loud as f#@k...depending on how many discs you run, more discs = louder/more power, and vice versa, i doubt you could get it under 96db, in AUS our stock pipes are 96dB and the e-series is way louder ?

What he didn't tell you was that the e-series is quieter than the stock exhaust with the insert removed - just barely. I've had e-series exhausts on several of my bikes and while I liked the performance they are not quiet. I doubt that even with most of the discs removed and a quiet core insert you'll make 96db and it won't run very well. I'm running a YZ exhaust with a PMB endcap and quiet insert on my 450. I haven't been tested yet and I'm not sure even that setup is going to pass but it is quieter than the e-series. On my 426 I run the stock exhaust with a GYT insert and that passes easily but at the cost of a little performance.

My brother runs a YZ426 with the white e-series... I can't remember how many disks he has on, but his bike was 104db at idle from about 4 feet with a sound meter. Mine was 102db I have the stock pipe with no silencer in it. I don't think there is any way to get the white pipe below or at 96db. Another guy I know has a WR250 and it ran at idle right at 96db with a GYTR insert. 96db is too quiet and don;t they want to reduce it to like 84db or somthing??

FYI

when they do a sound test it is not done at idle.

The test standard calls out "1/2 of maximum power rpm".

The manufacturers rpm numbers are in the test guide book

ktm 450 and 525 exc's and mxc's blow about 94db stock and they seem to have an abundance of power.

96dbs. is not too quiet, its just being courteous and responsible. Less sound = more ground ! ?

FYI

when they do a sound test it is not done at idle.

The test standard calls out "1/2 of maximum power rpm".

I was at 107db when at a good rev level... but once the engine is under load and you goose it, it probably goes up another few db. BTW... the engine is a bit snappy-er with the plug out and that is how I compesate for the warmer weather as well.

96dbs. is not too quiet, its just being courteous and responsible. Less sound = more ground !

I am not impling that we need to make more sound to have fun, i am just saying that 96db is on the quiet side of anything that makes noise... my lawnmower is louder than that. My kid screaming is louder than that. The guy with straight pipes on his harley is way louder than that... and I am supposed to have a dirt bike that makes less sound than a lawnmower while I use it in the middle of nowhere... just a funny regulation if you ask me. But, I guess I can understand it in a place that is overcrowded or somthing where dirt bikes are right up next to a city... hopefully Nevada never adopts this noise thing...

I brought mine down to 4 disc and it still failed. This is WITH the addition of their "quiet core" insert - replaces the first disc. Bottom line - the E-Seies will not pass the 96db sound test - if it does you will have it so restricted it will run like crap.

I've switched to the new FMF Q and all is well.