HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vincent1

xr 600 questions

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

just bought an 85 model xr with a 92 eninge. The dealer who sold it to me didn't know anything about this bike, so here are some questions, you might be able to help me out:

-what type of oil goes into this engine: 10w40, 15w40 or else?

-what type of spark plug does it need?

-how much oil do i need to flush the old crap, install a new filter and fill her up again?

-How do you check the oil with the dipstick? (when hot, cold, directly after shutting down the enginge, or else?

-Is it normal that the whole engine becomes pretty hot; so hot that you cannot rest your hand on the clutch-cover without burning your hands? (still plenty of oil in it, good condition engine, drive with a temp. of approx. 20 degrees outside)

ok, thanks in advance, have fun, vincent

To check the oil start it let it idle for 2-3 minutes. Shut off engine let oil settle. Remove dipstick clean it and then put the dipstick onto top of the threads in the hole but don't screw it in. This is how you are supposed to check the level at least this is what the shop manual says.

The oil type depends on your riding temperature. 10W40 will give you a pretty good temperature range.

oil capacity is 2.1 quarts or 2.0 litres from oil drain

or

2.6 quarts or 2.5 litres from rebuild.

I didn't know that a newer engine would fit in an old frame. Does the bike have 1 or 2 carbs out of curiosity.

If you love your engine, and want it to last a long time, use synthetic oil !!!! :thumbsup: Mobil 1 red cap synthetic is a good oil and you can find it everywhere. :devil:

I didn't know that a newer engine would fit in an old frame. Does the bike have 1 or 2 carbs out of curiosity.

Yes, it does fit, i didn't do the conversion, so i can't tell all details, but it looks like it's allways been there, no dumb pieces of self made iron to suspend it or something. Its got a single keihin carb. Cheers! :thumbsup: