XR650 'R' vs. 'L' Comparison evaluations

I ride my R to work (20 mi. each way) , then take it to Tillamook Forest to ride. It's delightful. It starts on the 2nd kick almost every time - First kick when I'm stuck in an intersection with a red light! I haven't been on an L; my guess is it would be nice on the road and on fire roads. The R is heavy enough as it is on the tight trails I ride.

Either one has to be lots of fun though!

I ride my R to work (20 mi. each way) , then take it to Tillamook Forest to ride. It's delightful. It starts on the 2nd kick almost every time - First kick when I'm stuck in an intersection with a red light! I haven't been on an L; my guess is it would be nice on the road and on fire roads. The R is heavy enough as it is on the tight trails I ride.

Either one has to be lots of fun though!

I have my 650R dual sported and I went and got a second pair of rims so I can do a quick change out from street oriented tires to full nobbies. With a 15 tooth from sprocket and D/S tires it is great on the road. 0 to 65 in a blur yet it will cruise all day. I did have to get the tall soft seat foam for it otherwise it was :thumbsup:

Hey Explrn Arizona, I was a little off last night. The XR600 has a bore and stroke of 97 x 80 with a compression ratio of 9.0:1. Where the 650L has a bore and stroke of 100 x 82 with a compresstion ratio of 8.3:1. I was definately of on the compression of the 600 but it is higher than the 650L.

Standard Premium pump gas runs fine in the XR650R. :thumbsup: No need to us octane boosters or any carp like that... Dont sucked in to a heavy underpowered street dog just because it has had stuff done to it, no matter what they have done, the L will still suck compared to the R.

I'll race my "heavy,underpowered,street dog"against your xr600 anytime. :thumbsup:

I have developd a renewed itrest in 650cc class dual sports since I'll be moving to the top of a mud hill and then have to comute highway to get to work. I was hoping that you would have gottne a better answer about real worl usefullness on the street, like you asked. I think every one knows that the R is better off road that the L, I was hopin that some one could tell if the R was any where close to the L on the streeet. I have a KLX400 that I have no intention on taking on a highway, and was kinda trying to figure out if trading it in on a 650R would meet my Highway and Trail needs or not. Hopefully some one will chime in witha street comparo too.

I have developd a renewed itrest in 650cc class dual sports since I'll be moving to the top of a mud hill and then have to comute highway to get to work. I was hoping that you would have gottne a better answer about real worl usefullness on the street, like you asked. I think every one knows that the R is better off road that the L, I was hopin that some one could tell if the R was any where close to the L on the streeet. I have a KLX400 that I have no intention on taking on a highway, and was kinda trying to figure out if trading it in on a 650R would meet my Highway and Trail needs or not. Hopefully some one will chime in witha street comparo too.

Green, are you on the "other" site NEDB? I could let you try mine sometime if you'd like. It's a blast on the street and handles well. I ride all the trails that anyone else does and sometimes better. A big bike is nice in the rocks believe it or not. It just flows over them like a Caddy.

I have an L and I love it. I ride it to work everyday. Hitting speeds of 75 very comfortably. It handles well on the street and I also ride it on steep single track with no problems. Sure it's not the R but, I didn't want the R. The L has plenty of power and is a blast to ride. Who's faster? My friends 13 year on a CR125, why? because he likes to go that fast, I don't, I just enjoy the ride. The L will be worlds better on and off than the KLX400. That's just my opinion. :thumbsup:

Nice avatar......finally!!! You said it right......the kid could beat me on or off road. I just go the speed that makes me smile.

Will the "R" work on the road? Sure. Why wouldn't it? It has a 4 stroke engine, brakes, etc... Go ride one and see how you like it. Next just add $500 for the street kit, days of aggrevation at the DMV....and then give me a call so we can go ride down the highway to the dirt. Meanwhile I'll just go ride my XRL and wait for you.

WoW, no five bills spent on my lights. Peice of cake at the DMV and it's good your happy with your bike....not everyone wants the awesome power of the "R" and are not looking for the extreme in both worlds (on and off road) so, for them the "L" is a good bike but, don't think it will take anytime to catch up or that the "L" will last longer. Some buy a corvett and some a camaro they both do 65 and both are made by Chevy. It would be nice that the guy's with their "L's" wouldn't get so tweeked just because the "R" is a better bike. It was made to be better.

You hit the nail right on the head dude, the R is a better bike than the L ever was :thumbsup: People have asked how I could bash the L when I ride an XR600R, but I couldnt afford the XR650R :lol: , so thats the way it had to be. Im just man enough to admit that the XR650R is a better bike than my 600R or the L will ever be, and one day I will have one :lol: In the origional post here XRLRN asked what the better bike was, not which one he could find cheap :D The L guys dont like hearing they have an old technology inferrior bike designed 20 years ago, but thats the way it is :devil: There are just not to many L riders big enough to admit that they made a bad choice and bought an inferrior bike :awww:.

BWB and I have already had that talk and I will agree all day long the R is a better bike. (See previous threads on this topic) I bought the bike I wanted and I still love it. I have put 3,000 miles on it in 2.5 months. Of all the bikes I have owned this is the most enjoyable. Not the fastest by any stretch!!! Not the most comfortable!!! Just fun!! :awww:

By the way BWB start warming up those fire roads I may be on my way out there. :devil:

And thanks for the Avatar comment. That’s me on my Stiletto 120 at Carolina Sky Sports during a regional meet from last year. :thumbsup:

My point is that it seems that some take it personal when someone (me included) get there bikes compared to another. It would be easier for someone to bash how (or lack of) my riding then bash the bike I chose. I almost got the CRF450 this last time and know that at times, for me, that is a better bike. There are alot of times that I couldn't run the CRF450 to it's full potential and am getting to hurt, old and the nut sack is shrinking so, I figured the BRP would be better and most of the time it is....for me but, there is always the time I can't stay away from the track and I sure wish I had a CRF. I would be a fool to compare the BRP in it's best form to any CRF450 with a good rider, on the track. So, some ride the "L" because there an "L" of a rider and love every minute of going "L" all the way. I ride with some guys that it wouldn't make them any faster if they went from a "L" to a "R" and they would ride slower if they were put on the CRF450 and may be faster on a XR400! My best friend couldn't handle the XR650R and went to the XR400R last year and is way faster on it.

I don't take any of this personal! :devil: I'm just here to have fun. We talked about his already. DO you remeber sending the map of San Diego? and where to live etc... The last post you sent was to someone else about getting the fire roads ready for the L. Well me and my L my be headed west so ge the fire roads ready!! :thumbsup:

Buckarmadillo; was having the normal responce that I think most have in defending his beloved bike and I was just sharing, I wish that it could be different. I was just saying that I wish that when we tear into the "L" that we didn't get others roughled. I was just trying to get it accross that it doen't need to be that way :thumbsup: and alot has to do with riding style on how happy you are with the bike you get. MOney has something to do with it and then you're happy you just to have anything you get, lucky enough to get your hands on, I lived most my married life that way :devil::lol: I just though sence we talked before you get where I was coming from and see that Buckarmadillo was happy with his "L" and was waiting for some of us to get our "R's" plated and catch up. :awww: There are some of us out there that wouldn't be happy on the "L" even if it was the only bike that we could have. Yes, I would ride it.....I got to ride but, I still can clear 70+ feet and like to ride where I shouldn't at speads that I shouldn't and the "L" is just to much to do that and live. I feal for those that want something more....Like I said, I spent a lot of my married life that way. I am sure I could get an "L" (if I tinkered with it), to do the same as what my "R" is doing in my avatar but, I think the fear factor whould make it less fun :D and that woulrd be more then it's normal limit.

I get it! It's not getting what you want, but wanting what you got!!! But, if i show up on your door step you better have some fire roads maped out to smoke me on though!! :thumbsup:

If I can get my bike back! :devil: It's still at Barnums. I am hoping to get it back it time to brake it in for Pismo an the 12th~16th, It's getting kinda tight and I am getting worried. :thumbsup:

You can borrow my L, just dont break my frame!!! :thumbsup: I'll be out there for nationals this year one way or the other we should get a beer or something! :devil:

I have been riding a dual sport bike to work every day since 1985. It is an SP250 Suzuki and is 19 years old this year. I rode it yesterday as a matter of fact. When I bought the L, I wanted to buy the last dual sport I will ever own. I don't want an R. I will be too old to kick it one day, but I will still be able to hit the "button". I will never sell the Suzuki and I will never sell the L. It is just the last bike that I will own of its type. Now my Kawasaki ZRX may be replaced some day, but not the L. Take my BMWs from me (I have 3) and I won't care much. Take my Kawasaki and I won't moan. Take my dual sport and I will die. It gets used every day and if it too bad to ride to work (not often in New Mexico) then I walk. At my age and riding years, I knew what I needed and bought it. The R is nice but I wouldn't trade straight across for anyone's R. It isn't what I would want or need. My BMW friends that own K1200RS bikes can't figure out why I restored my 1968 R60/2 and still ride it. At 32 HP it isn't what they want to ride. It is what I like to ride, though. So I suppose that my L and I will still be riding to work while the R folks have traded/broken/sold/forgotten their bikes. Some buy what they want. Some buy what they need. Some of us are lucky and do both. I hope you are one of the lucky ones.