WR- YZF 450

Ok I think I understand what Yamaha did with the 450. The yzf 450 is made for the track and the wr 450 is for everything else. In 2004 do ya think the yzf 450 will come with the 5 gears or stay with the 4? I just dont understand why the 4 geaars! I cant wait to hear what people say about the yzf 450, Im waiting to hear how the 450 does in the desert. I know what alote of people are going to say, get the wr if you want 5 gears, but i thinking yamaha will put a 5th gear in the yzf 450 in the future.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yzboy, this has been a hotly debated topic here and I think you hit the nail righ on the head.

I think Yamaha will realize that they made a mistake with the 4-speed and will change back to the 5-speed yz. I mean, I don't want a wr, I want a yz with 5 gears, it's just that simple, I am not the only one that feels that way either.

Yamaha was so determined to get there weight below the CR that they left a gear out, and beat the CR by 1 pound.

I have posed this question before to the people who are pro 4-speed: Did you ever say to yourself, geese, I sure wish I didn't have this 5th gear here????? Probably not!!!

They left the gear out because it wasnt necessary! Quit using first for the starts and see your holeshot increase. I would bet the Yamaha still isnt lighter than the CRF on a real scale, ready to ride. Yamaha will run the 4 speed til it is not the top dog anymore. Nobody seems to worry about the amount of oil in the motor. They did decrease that too. Is that not a worry? This bike will win with the right rider and if he jumped on the CRF he would win on that one too! It will be a great bike!

The yzf 450 is made for the track and the wr 450 is for everything else.

How many of you guys use 1st or 5th on your track? The orange bikes have also gone to 4 gears for "03". The engineers came up with less weight, Smaller gear case, better use of gear ratio. The WR needs 5th for the offroad applications. Kinda sucks for you guys out west who want to run a YZ. You would want to grab that extra gear. In the northeast I dont think I would hit 5th on a trail. I think 4 gears would be better for me in Eastern Woods...

I love the way you that you guy's complain about a bike that you have never ridden or even seen for that matter. Who cares how many gears it has, as long as it is geared properly, the bike will do fine. I'm not saying that is is geared properly, but I'm keeping an open mind until I ride one...or at least read a review or two. Besides, heaven for bid Yamaha builds their motocross bikes with motocross in mind. I think that you guys just whine to whine. just go ride your damn bike! If you don't like the new Yamaha, don't buy one. There are other options. You guy's act like you are forced to ride it or something. The YZ450 has four gears. Deal with it!

Speaking for yznvegas

I dont Care,I dont Care,I dont Care,I dont Care,I dont Care,I dont Care,I dont Care,I dont Care,I dont Care,I dont Care,I dont Care,I dont Care,

Yamha is stupid,Yamha is stupid,Yamha is stupid,Yamha is stupid,Yamha is stupid,Yamha is stupid,Yamha is stupid,Yamha is stupid,

I want 5 gears,I want 5 gears,I want 5 gears,I want 5 gears,I want 5 gears,I want 5 gears,

?

Im not immature

Im Not Im Not Im Not

Ego Speaks

You go Amador Im with ya. these Clarvoiant ones have me mistified

I concider it in the same arena as the Honda Post Guy who hates riding cus it cost to much :D

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

Originally posted by JJboys:

"If we never complained then they would never change anything" Quote from my wife ?

I agree, squeaky wheel gets the oil yada, yada ,yada.....

But, These people are compaining about something they know nothing about!! In their attempt to sound smart, they prove their ignorance.

Originally posted by Amador:

I love the way you that you guy's complain about a bike that you have never ridden or even seen for that matter. Who cares how many gears it has, as long as it is geared properly, the bike will do fine.

You guy's act like you are forced to ride it or something. The YZ450 has four gears. Deal with it!

And you act like motocross is the only kind of racing that there is. There is no motocross track where I live. How am I supposed to deal with that, move?

Also, it is not unreasonable to expect the more intelligent and experienced among us to be able to read the gear ratios and make assumptions as to how this will play in our ordinary riding and racing. Answer: a four speed will not work for me. Neither will a 260 pound WR. Deal with that fella.

It is also not unexpected for this same group of customers to wonder why leaving out that fifth gear is such a good idea. Congratulations Yamaha, you just saved 8 ounces! That must have been the final half pound that put the YZ under the weight of the CRF! Sorry, but from where I am sitting that is overkill, and your (and others’) blindness to that perspective is confusing to me.

If four gears is the hot setup then how come almost every other large displacement motocrosser made has a five speed?

The next moron who says, “shut up and buy a WR” may end up getting force fed a fifteen pound boat-anchor of an exhaust system. And a coolant catch bottle. And a battery. And a starter motor. And a bunch of extra wiring. And a headlight that is useless for competition. And the underpowered “please dual-sport me” stator that runs it. And a tailight. And a speedo.

Are you beginning to get the picture?

Amador, Whats up with talking sh&*? Saying i dont know what im talking about? Come on man, This is what this web is for. See if other people feel the same way about the bike or just try to get some more info. (Amanda-or) or Amador? Who's complaining i just ask about the yzf 450 adding a 5th gear? Just look at it, 4 gears mx bike, not a desert bike? So all im asking is a question, i dont have the money to get a new bike every year like you. ?

Why is yamah Yz's Blue I hate blue, how about silver, or maybe teal I like teal.

Then stupid Poopoo heads at yamaha why cant they make up there mind, first its yellow then white & red Now Blue.

Dont they know some people are color blind...

Now I got to go get color cordinated riding gear again ?:D

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

You can read it as complaining if you wish ,but I would like for you to attempt to read it as inquiring. Put yourself in a dez racers perspective. I dont want-no-stinkin' WR! I race dez and have no need for a headlight/tail light/catch bottle/stator/etc........jusst a lower 1st gear for the tight stuff. I ride MX maybe 1 time every other month. But Just cuz' I dont ride a "track" does not mean I dont race or have diff needs than the MXers.

And I am NOT saying it is a bad thing either. It doesnt really matter anyway. I have one that will be here in Sep so I am getting it anyway. If I dont like it I will simply either go back to the 426 or CRF.........(oh that hurts my ears!!)

Bottom line is that Yammy evidently does know what they are doing and hopefully they are not just saying "screw those dez/offroad riders. we will make more $$$$ selling to the MXers anyway......"

I cant wait to give the 4spd a rip! If I dont like it then I will see if I can gut a WR tranny????Then if not the big RED/ol'BLUE decision must be made!

?

WE will see!

Originally posted by yzboy:

Amador, Whats up with talking sh&*? Saying i dont know what im talking about? Come on man, This is what this web is for. See if other people feel the same way about the bike or just try to get some more info. (Amanda-or) or Amador? Who's complaining i just ask about the yzf 450 adding a 5th gear? Just look at it, 4 gears mx bike, not a desert bike? So all im asking is a question, i dont have the money to get a new bike every year like you. ?

Originally posted by yzboy:

Again yz"BOY",

The YZ450 has 4 gears. Deal with it. Or, Go buy a Honda if you need 5 gears. Just please stop WHINNING! And change your diaper!

by the way, Can you please tell me what the "not good enough" top speed is on the YZ450?........Interesting.

Originally posted by Amador:

The YZ450 has 4 gears. Deal with it. Or, Go buy a Honda if you need 5 gears. Just please stop WHINNING!

by the way, Can you please tell me what the "not good enough" top speed is on the YZ450?........Interesting.

The only whining I see on this post is by you.

The top speed of the 450 will be about 5 mph slower than a stock 426. You’re welcome.

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: Hick ]

I can understand why someone would want a five speed for desert, but I don't think many of us can go wide open in forth gear in the woods. I know its like comparing apples and oranges, but I just sold my 520SX that had a four speed and I ran hare scrambles and MX with it without a problem. I will be getting a new YZF450 when they come in and a 4-speed will work for me. If I rode desert I would look into buying a WR gearset. Why did they not put a 5-speed in it? It was made for MX and they made the WR for off-road. I don't think the new WR will be a tank. They have made it lighter also, but with the E-start and lights it will of course weigh more than the YZ.

Originally posted by mx317:

I know its like comparing apples and oranges, but I just sold my 520SX that had a four speed and I ran hare scrambles and MX with it without a problem.

Another interesting aspect of that particular comparison is that KTM’s off-road competition models are exactly that, are only 10 pounds heavier than the SX, and have SIX gears. Maybe the new WR will be lighter than the rumor mill is letting on so far.

I rode a 520 SX at an off-road event a few years ago and ran out of gears on the jetting loop. I didn’t even take it on the course (not that the owner would’ve let me, it was a showroom demo).

Given the wider usable rpm range this will apply less to the YZ 450, but I for one am sure it will still apply nonetheless. As it stands I’ve long wanted to put a WR fifth in my YZ, just so I could gear for the tight stuff and not get smoked on the bomb run, but never got around to tackling that project. Hopefully this will be possible with the new YZ (YZ 450 fourth is same ratio as WR 426’s), but my main frustration with this decision is that NOT having a fifth gear doesn’t really help anybody. If you can honestly notice the mere ounces in weight savings we are talking about then you need to get off your ass and go race with the Carmichaels of the world, in which case the factory can put a few plastic gear sets in there and leave you w/ a three speed like Red Dog.