HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barry

98' 400F Vs. 01' 426

6 posts in this topic

I own a 1998 yz 400F the bike is amazing and has been very good to me. It is fast , powerful and very reliable. I love riding this big monster.

Im looking to sell it though and try some of the newer technology yamaha has come out with and i also have a line on a 01' so i would liek to know what are the big changes are in these 2 bikes as of weight , power , reliablility , control and suspension.

IS it a good idea to sell off my 98' and go for the 01'

any opinions and answers are appreciated. Thanks.

I havge an '01 426. I don't think that it and the 98 are really that different. Just slight changes to improve things that were problematic from the first and subsequent year bikes. The basic design has been the same since '98 and until '02.

If you want a bike that will be different, then wait and get the '03.

The biggest difference between the two, in my book, is no bog down low on the '01. The '98 would hiccup sometimes down low, the '01 doesn't. Maniac

Originally posted by MANIAC998:

The biggest difference between the two, in my book, is no bog down low on the '01. The '98 would hiccup sometimes down low, the '01 doesn't. Maniac

Even then, if you have the patience to properly tune the carb you could easily make the 400 run just as clean.

My '01 didn't run so hot w/ stock jetting and accelerator pump, huge bog, so that will obviously vary depending on where you live and ride.

The only obvious improvements in the '01 IMO are the front brake, power (obviously) and that is about it. They did change the geometry and they handle a bit differently but I don't think it is a huge factor. I would say this decision depends largely on the individual bikes in question, what you can sell the 400 for, and what the '01 will cost you. For example, if they are both in identical condition and the "upgrade" would cost me, say, $1,000, I would just stick with the 400 and get the forks done or something.

My two cents.