CRF450X

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard all kinds of stories over the last year. The latest word I've heard is November, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I think the first date I heard was November 03! And Honda is still not formally admitting to anything. If they keep dragging their heels it's gonna be KTM or Husky time next year! ?

CRF450X ? Thats fine for grandmothers and little kids :devil: I want the XR680X pepole have been talking about !!! But what is the story on the 680X ? Anyone know when it will be comming out ? I want an XR650R so bad I can taste it, but am wondering if I should wait for the XR680X ??? ? Anyone heard anything ?

It won't be 2005 :devil:

But, you can always make your own, if you don't mind the looks of the Baja Designs starter and you have the time and money to find a cheap BRP to punch out to 680. I'll skip on the starter but, a 680 built the way I want it is the way for me. No matter what Honda builds it would need to be tweeked for most riders anyways but, it's the best brand bike to start with.

?

I took a riding lesson from one of the Team Honda guys and I asked him if Honda is coming out with the CRF450X. I told him I'd start saving my money if they do. He wouldn't tell me yes or no but told me to start saving. Since Yamaha has the WR450, Honda would certainly have to release a CRF450X to remain competitive. They're just taking their time like they did with the CRF450.

Basically the 450X is the R with lights a bigger tank and maybe some different ratios/gearing? I personally don't think the CRF's are very good bikes for what most of us do on the BRP's. Consistent oil level checking and changing is the first thing. If you don't you'll smoke the engine. I'm not talking every 100 miles or so, this is every ride or during rides. Poor gas mileage. This I read in DirtBike so I'm not speaking from the anal port. Get the 650R and don't look back. ?

i don't own a 650r but would like to, but do you really need a 680? does the 650 need any more power, anywhere? i can see going to a 680 when the rings/cylinder wear out and you need a rebuild.

Personally I need no more "offroad" than the 650 pigger offers. I can't even get it wide open unless I've got a good 1/4-1/2 mile straight-away. I haven't even touched the motor besides jetting, HRC Tip, and a uni. Gearing just helped me keep her in 3rd on the trails. Man I can't wait to go riding.. ?

Basically the 450X is the R with lights a bigger tank and maybe some different ratios/gearing? I personally don't think the CRF's are very good bikes for what most of us do on the BRP's.

I wouldn't buy the R model for my purposes either. I have converted MX bikes for off-road work in the past, and it is way too much trouble. Let Honda do it. But this is getting silly! The 450X was first rumoured as an 04 model. And now the CRF250 has come out in both versions two years after the first CRF450! One rumour is that Honda is having trouble getting an off road 450 past their quality people..keeping in mind that many buyers will be people expecting XR-like reliability and durability. A potential marketing disaster for Honda based on the more.....er, fragile nature of the CRF's (at the risk of being flamed!)

I agree, the XR650R is very hard to beat at what it does well...fast desert, open country, jeep and forest roads with unmatched comfort, reliability and durability. But I've been riding a lot more slower, tight single track recently, which the 650 will do...but there are better tools for the job here.

Who knows, at the rate Honda is going there may be a CRF 600 out before the 450X! ?

I agree-

I have a 450R that I've pretty much converted to what we think the "X" will be (except I don't have the electric start, which I'd forgo anyway, if that was an option on the X). Tank, 18" wheel, wide ratio, flywheel, etc. This is an absolutely magic bike in the twisties and even works really well in the desert, but it's not nearly as comfortable on fire roads, is much more harsh (even with excellent suspension setup) in the really high-speed stuff, and doesn't hold a candle to the BRP's long-term reliability. I think it's the short-skirt piston and super weight-consciousness engineered into the CRF motor that makes it less reliable. The CRF-X will NOT be a replacement for the BRP.

If you believe the laws of physics, the extra weight of the BRP is what makes it so stable and comfortable at speed (% of sprung vs. unsprung weight). I think the conventional forks have quite a bit to do with the comfort/ plush feeling, too.

Still, if there was some way to graft the 650 motor (with electric start and a six-speed) into a more modern chassis & keep it around 240 lbs... the low weight & much more nimble handling would be worth the trade-off for the loss of high-speed stability, at least in my book. Are you reading this, Honda?

They have to put more then one ring on the piston for the CRF450X to be Reliable. The single ring piston just can't handle the long haul. They have a iol tank that mounts between the frame that increases the oil capacity but, nowhere near the 1.70 quarts that the XR650R has.

I personally don't think the CRF's are very good bikes for what most of us do on the BRP's. Poor gas mileage. This I read in DirtBike so I'm not speaking from the anal port. Get the 650R and don't look back. ?

I have both bikes and ride desert only. For high speed sand washes and fire roads the 650 rules! For everything else the 450 is magic. I have been riding the pig for 3 years and decided to get something lighter 6 months ago - CRF450. Ride the 300 pounder through whoops and corners and then get on the 230 pounder and man handle it - big difference. I also find that I am not as tired at the end of the day on the 450. It all gets down to what you want to do with the bike as they are both excellent machines. The only change that I would make to the 450 is the gearing but it is not that bad. I broke my neck at high speed 2 months ago on the pig and need to slow down a bit so I plan to stick with the 450 in the future.

T-Diddy

It all gets down to what you want to do...

T-Diddy

You nailed it T-diddy.

How's the neck doing? Not missing too much out in the dez right now since the temps are in the triple digits.

I bought my XRL just so I could get back into riding, any kind of riding. I've ridden my Big Fat Pig all over So Cal & parts of Mex. It's a fun bike that can go just about anywhere, but it's a heavy, cumbersome machine out in the trails.

I was also wanting something lighter and more purpose built. That's why I picked up my '02 WR426F. It's not as light as the CRF450R, but it is 80 pounds lighter than my L. This bike is like lightning in a bottle and the power to weight ratio is unreal. Definitely the fastest bike I've ridden. It'll never be street legal and that's o.k. by me.

The CRF 450X is just a rumor. Nothing for 2005. Honda is concentrating on the CRF 250X to see how it sells. My team is sponsored by a Honda dealer in off road and some have waited for the 450X. We have been assured (meaning dont save your money this year) that the 450X is not happening for 2005. The XR680R kit is mostly for the road guys who do racing. Rode with a guy who owned two Pigs (one 650 for Baja/Desert and one 680 for Super Moto). Some guys say they wish they had a 6th gear for off road. Coming off Huskies, I said that too at first. UNTIL I twisted the throttle all the way and realized the Pig has a whole lot of top end stock! Changed my gearing to Baja gearing (15/45) and topped out the 100mph mark on the highway sections and across lake beds. Just like the old days in the 70's with Husky 400CRs and 6 speeds! ?

Stephen

680 kit is for off road, not just Motard :devil: Barnum use it and I will be once he gets mine done. 100mph off road isn't that fast....Barnum was hitting just over 120mph in the chop/light whoop sections of the Baja 500! Overdrive 6th would be nice but, with all the torque the 680 puts out (over 50 foot pounds) it's not needed. It would make the bike better for all around use though. You would have the lower gearing for the tight stuff and the top end speed for the high speed flight needed for desert racing. I don't think there is anough room to put a 6th gear in there that would be thick enough to handle the heat, so, if you did have a sixth gear it would be thin like the KTM's and you wouldn't have the bullet proof bike the BRP is known to be.

With the bigger tire I was running, I could just touch the rev-limiter at 102mph on the GPS with my stock engine with all the after market goodies (pavement). With the extra ponies of the 680 it will pull much higher speeds into the 120's, with the right gearing. ?

The single ring piston just can't handle the long haul. They have a iol tank that mounts between the frame that increases the oil capacity but, nowhere near the 1.70 quarts that the XR650R has.

Rumour has it that Honda has been developing some kind of oil recovery system for the 450X based on desert testing where the 450 is known to blow out it's already meagre oil supply at sustained high revs. I would expect to see more oil capacity on the off-road version too, and I wonder if the single ring skirtless piston will make it to the X model? ?

• 1 month later...