Who has quit riding then gotten back into it?

I have noticed that there are quite a few riders here that used to ride when younger, quit, then started again.

What compelled you to get back in after you hiatus?

I am asking because I have been having thoughts (they don't last long, so don't worry too much!) of giving it up due to having shoulder surgery as a direct result of MX. Although, I have this sneaky feeling that if I did quit it would only be a matter of time before I got another dirt bike and was back out there in some form or another.

Even if I did quit I would still have and ride my street bike, but that is just not the same thing.

I quit in my early twenties for family/financial reasons. I became a professional spectator attending as many nationals as I could for those years. Then when things started coming around financially again my brother and I tried jetski racing. It was fun but very expensive, it was all about dumping cash into your motor and long drives to race six guys for 4 or 5 laps in some swamp somewhere. So my brother goes out and gets a new 89 cr500 and starts racing MX again. I would go watch a lot of the time and he was doing very well. He was the holeshot king and ended up winning the class championchip that year! I was like, man I can outride him! So I got a new cr500 the next year and got back into it. I rode a lot for about three years and then bought a new house and quit again for a summer. The next winter the itch came back so I went out and bought a 5 year old cr250 that was legal for this new class called "non-current" we have in d14(michigan). Had a lot of fun that summer and even won a couple races. The next year they added a 35+ class to our district and guess what? I had just turned 35. So I got a brand new YZ250 and went at it hard again for a couple years. Then I really banged up my hip and kinda took a summer off again except for a couple races in the fall. My interest was waning again a little. The next year I decided to try something different to spark my interest again and I got a YZF400, the first couple months of owning it almost caused me to quit! I kept with it though and eventually mastered it just in time to turn 40 and do real well for my first summer in the 40+ class. Then that fall I seperated my shoulder and that set me back, I thought for the first few days after I was done. But as the pain went away the desire to ride came back. My first race back (about 4 week layoff) I won! Fast forward to next summer, the day before the Red Bud national and two days before my wife and I are to fly to the East Coast for a vacation I blow out my knee! This time I'm done I tell myself this is just no fun. Guess what? before my knee was anywhere right again but didn't hurt to much anymore I plunk down the change for a new YZF426. I had to take it easy for awhile, trail riding was cool but at first I couldn't moto very well cause I was afraid to put my right foot down. Now a year of rehab later I'm starting to make plans for my assault on the 45+ class! The point here is that if your anything like me you can't quit even if you think you want to!

I took a 16 year sabaticle due to injury, I got married plus I could not afford a new bride and bike at that time.

I have had three back surguries since 1988, I was at a stage in my life before I got married, wondering if riding was worth it any more, I needed a break. 16 years was way to long I was ready two years later after 1988.

Anyway, I make a crap load of moola now found this sweet deal on a 00 426 and am 16 years older and wiser. Having a blast

I quit in 85 because I had a string of injuries and got tired of being in the hospital. After selling my bike I bought a jetski and sank about 10K into it trying to make it fun. Then in 92 I took a trip out to Glamis, sans bike, with some folks that just like to camp and putt around. One of the guys there let me ride his CR500 up Oldsmobile, and I was re-hooked. I'll never forget that rush. I had an adreneline shake that was really intense. That was thanksgiving weekend, by Christmas I had another bike. Since getting back on, Ive only been to the hospital once! ? For me, that an accomplishment! The only thing quitting got me was a new bike :D and a jetski that cost me about 15k (when all is said and done) thats worth about 600 bucks :D

1984-1988

cr80

tri-z250

cr250

1989-1997

Just another punk witno money

1997-present

250recon

400ex

atc250r '84

yz426 '01

I'm peakin now baby,got my own mx track and lovin it. Only problem is my bones seem to break and hurt much more now, go figure.It's that quads fault it pounds me further into the ground than the 426. ?

I started riding dirtbikes for the first time at 35. My wife was terrified. It started off as trail riding then I found a local track. Raced a few races and now I'm hooked completely. Riding 3-4 times a week now.

I metioned to my wife that I need to quit riding and put all the time and energy in my 6 year old who is now on a KX60. She knew what I knew....it won't happen..I'll continue riding till I'm grey headed.

Like you I'm see more and more older riders getting back into the sport....it's great exercise and stress reliever.

I wonder what the average age of the people on this forumn is?????? Can TTalk make a poll or something?????? I'm guessing 30-33...

I'm 37

Originally posted by Kirtwell:

I'll continue riding till I'm grey headed.

They have super senior (50+) classes where I race, I want to make it to that class!

I didn't start racing until I was 30.

I started out as a 9 yr. old kid borrowing the local neighbors Maico. Gawd that thing was a beast to ride at that age. We would all stand in a line in the field behind my house, waiting for our turn on it. Bought my first YZ 125 when I was 20 and loved it even though it was missing 5th gear. Didn't matter to me though. Who needed it?

?

When I turned 23 or so I bought my first four stroke after a friend turned me on to his. It was a TT350. Soon upgraded to the TT600, what a heavy hunk o steel. I was hooked on the 4 stroke then.

I rode that for 6 years heavily then I got married. We needed the $ for a house so I sold it and my trailer to a buddy. That was in 1992.

I just bought a 1999 YZ400 after thinking about riding for the last 10 years and goin nuts with the finances on it. But get this! My father-in-law says," If you mow my lawn once every 2 weeks I'll get ya that bike." Heh....What would YOU do?!

So now I have a sweet 4 stroke again, still married with 2 kiddies, and 39 years old having the time of my life!!

Won't sell that one cept to upgrade!!!!

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: Fly-nBri ]

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: Fly-nBri ]

Well, my first bike was a 83' cr-250, you know the one with the kicker on the left side of the bike?? What a monster that thing was, scared the crap outta me evertime I got on it. I was riding out in the desert by myself one time (only 16 so don't execute me for that) and I dumped and snapped my wrist. I was scared of bikes for about 5 years after that and finally got back in the sport with a cr-125.

I have had many bike since than and I must say, I don't know how I ever lived without riding.

Oh yah, and talking to you bozos too. ?

Hey Hokie, you can always come ride the trails with me! We ride very hard, but usually keep it just barely below warp speed ? .

I've always admired the racers out there, I've ridden the tracks, it scares the hell out of me, but I enjoy it. Amen to motomike...........

Dodger :D:D

Originally posted by Dodger:

Hey Hokie, you can always come ride the trails with me! We ride very hard, but usually keep it just barely below warp speed ? .

I've always admired the racers out there, I've ridden the tracks, it scares the hell out of me, but I enjoy it. Amen to motomike...........

Dodger :D:D

I was planning on it til I screwed up my shoulder again. Hopefully I'll be back for some "light" riding late Sept.

I think I saw you riding down folsom making a left on pearl a few weeks back. Heading in the direction of the Sun.....

:D

This is a bit off your topic, but I just started riding/racing harescrambles for the first time last year. I can not beleive I never did this before. I've lost 38 pounds and it's the one of the best stress releivers I have ever found!

Like a buddy of mine said, "the reason I love doing this is that you could be going through the nastiest divorce ever known to man, just found out you had terminal cancer, just lost your business and facing serious jail time all at once but while you out there racing the trails for 2 hours, man you just can NOT think about anything else except what you are doing at that moment! Hell, it's better than any drug ever made!!"

Myself, I just can't get enough of it! Sorry for the diversion, couldn't help myself!

Jon

Originally posted by dockedoar:

This is a bit off your topic, but I just started riding/racing harescrambles for the first time last year. I can not beleive I never did this before. I've lost 38 pounds and it's the one of the best stress releivers I have ever found!

Like a buddy of mine said, "the reason I love doing this is that you could be going through the nastiest divorce ever known to man, just found out you had terminal cancer, just lost your business and facing serious jail time all at once but while you out there racing the trails for 2 hours, man you just can NOT think about anything else except what you are doing at that moment! Hell, it's better than any drug ever made!!"

Myself, I just can't get enough of it! Sorry for the diversion, couldn't help myself!

Jon

That is exactly why I have the sneaky feeling that I could not give it up. ?

HS is tons of fun too!

Some great replies above . . . here's mine. When I was 12(1965), a friend received a Honda S90 for Christmas and came over to show me the bike. I rode on the back of that bike for several weeks and watched him like a hawk to learn how everything worked. He finally let me take it for a ride. From the instant that I slipped that clutch and went up through the gears, I KNEW why I was put on this Earth. Even after 37 years since that day, I can still remember the sensation of how it felt with that machine between my legs and how the acceleration was the most exciting thing I had ever known. It was absolutely magical. And now, the age of 48, I love it just as much, if not more.

When my first son was born, I felt it to be my duty to be a responsible provider and put away motorcycles, at least dirt bikes, until he was nearly and adult. I didn't quite make it that far. A set of twin sons came a short time later and then I REALLY had to consider my duty to 3 sons. When the twins made 15, I bought a dirt bike and began racing a little. The boys raced BMX and did very well. One of the twins was the 16 year old Louisiana state champion in 1997. We all share one common thread, we've all broken our collar bones once each.

I started in 1972 on an SL 125 and went to a 250 Ossa Stilleto by December of that year.I raced MX and hare scrambles on that and a TS 185 Suzuki until '76 when I got married and started running RM Suzukis ( my wife is the greatest) until 1979. I quit to pursue military flight school and did not return after the flight surgeons ended my plans. I got back in in 1999 to ride with my son when I got him his first scoot and me an XR 400R. We went back to motocross this year when I got my 426 and he moved up to a CR 125R. I love the 426F. It makes this handicapped old vet feel good again. The torque and suspension help me compensate for a paralyzed right leg, and it feels great to just get on the gas and fly like my younger days. As an engineer I marvel at the progress made in the bikes today. I just wish I had never quit. It is great riding with my son and teaching him the art of maintenance and riding. I'll never quit now ? . Thank you Yamaha for a new lease on life and the great times with my son. :D

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: Florida 426 ]

Irode when I was @9 years old till I was 15 then liked girls and cars better. But after 25 years my son wanted to get a bike so we got back into riding I am very mad at myself for missing out on those lost years. We run harescrambles all over Florida now and it is a lot of fun to be w/ him.

Started riding in 73, started racing in 75, turn Pro in 77, got SMOKED big time in 77 (age 18) sponsored locally, quit Racing, thought there's no way I could EVER go that fast. Had family, childern, three boys (I can see MX in future). Started riding again in 1990, started Racing for FUN only in 1999, having a Blast, just enjoying it now (phat & slow). None of my kids want to race (they do enjoy riding). Its a great FAMILY sport. I will Race until I die.

I started riding around '76 and stopped about '95 due to lack of riding areas. I have since moved to an area conducive to dirt biking. I would aviod bike shops because it would torture me to be around the new machines! While surfing the web I stumbled across Thumpertalk and bought a used YZ 400 soon thereafter. ? TT and the 4 stroke bikes are addictive and it's great to see the enthusiasm of everyone on this site. I like to see other guys my age (38) and older still going strong.

Thanks everyone for making this a great site to check out on a daily basis! :D