Oil filter drain fix

I have heard of plugging the hole in the oil filter drain plug to keep metal particles from ruining the threads, but isn't that hole there for a reason? Like to let oil in?

As far as I can tell it is only there so you can drain all of the oil from the filter if you take the lower bolt out first. Plugging it would just mean that when you take the cover off, the oil will dump out but your threads won't get crap on them and strip out over time. One of these days I think I am going to give it a try.

I clean the threads with a Q-tip to get any crud out of the threads. It works good, you might want to try that if you decide not to plug the hole.

And every time I remove that darn cover a pile of oil comes out, even after I left the lower bolt out for a few minutes. Personally I think that's a "Feature" they can do away with! :)

I do the Q-Tip trick too. You could probably just use a bit of RTV silicone(blue) to seal up the hole.

I dont know about you but mine came plugged on my 2002?

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: pavelkod ]

"I have heard of plugging the hole in the oil filter drain plug to keep metal particles from ruining the threads, but isn't that hole there for a reason? Like to let oil in?"

Actually, it's to let oil out. You don't fill up your crankcase through your oil drain plug do you? Same idea, it's just so you don't make a mess when you pull the oil filter cover off.

I think I will plug it. I have never seen oil drain out of there anyways.