Run with no header pipe!

Did any of you watch the replay of tghe Washougal 125 National? During the race, Chad Reed's header pipe completly fell off. The poor guy has had some bad luck lately trying to keep up with Bubba. I was surpised, but he kept up a pretty decent pace with the header gone.

I can only imagine what that thing must have sounded like! Seems like that would be terrible on the exhaust valves also. One good backflux...(backflux...is that a word?)...of cool air and it seems like that would shatter a red hot valve.

I also noticed that Reed knocked Ryan Huffman down in a corner and when Huffman went back to have a word with him, Reed kinda pushed Huffman's helmet face guard. What a schmuck prima donna! He should have been disqualified on the spot. . .IMHO.

Sorry, went off subject.

What about Tony Stewart punching the camara guy, Got fined 10k and is on probatin alsohas to attend an anger managment class.

I thnk Nascar has it correct, step out of line and you out, Unlike other pro sports you can shot people and just becouse your 11 foot 6 inches and can dribbel a b ball you get away with it...

Personnally I think its bad form, but I can understand the frustration these guys have competing at that level.

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

The AMA gives out wrist slaps.

They are afraid to punish any factory riders. The AMA cares only about protecting it's turf and keeping those checks rolling in.

I think one of the reasons NASCAR is successful is they don't play favorites.

Nascar has the idea that the fans are there bread and butter *Gee What a concept. Nascar is the most friendlies sport I have encountered outside of years ago in the Trans-AMA when one could walk the pist and talk to the factory guys.

I have been to Nascar races and as long as there is a fan standing there you can get an autograph or pic taken. Nascar is great and they have even better role modles

Originally posted by E.G.O.****:

Nascar has the idea that the fans are there bread and butter *Gee What a concept. Nascar is the most friendlies sport I have encountered outside of years ago in the Trans-AMA when one could walk the pist and talk to the factory guys.

I have been to Nascar races and as long as there is a fan standing there you can get an autograph or pic taken. Nascar is great and they have even better role modles

Not to get to off subject, I went to the Brick Yard this last weekend, I thought it was a hell of a good race and for as big as the track is we sat were we could see about half of the race the hole time, If anyone ever goes, sit on the inside of turn 3, All the action happened right there!!! DAMN Those Dodges --at one time Bill had a 4.85 second lead.

i sat on the inside of turn 1 for the indy 500 this year, hahaha, boy did those seats suck ? i've also sat on the outside of the frontstretch (grandstands) those were bad seats too, you only got to see them when they were about 200 yards down and 200 yards gone

in '96 for the brickyard 400 i believe it was (when jarret won) i sat on the inside of the front stretch behind the pits, once again, horeible seats.

next year for the 500 ill request some inside turn 3 tickets :D

I missed it.

How much of the race did Reed have to ride without the header?

Just think, some poor SOB probbably seen this trick factory header laying on the ground and WOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

I bet he started looking for the first place cool to stick his hand.

Anyways, thats what would have happened to me. ?

Originally posted by beezer:

The AMA gives out wrist slaps.

They are afraid to punish any factory riders. The AMA cares only about protecting it's turf and keeping those checks rolling in.

Don't try to tell Mat Mladin that....

Hey, does anyone have the 125's recorded from Washington??

If so, PLEASE drop me a PM or a reply here, I'll pay for shipping to us and back to you to see it!

(Unless someone knows when it will be on again!) We missed it Sunday, power outtage, and we forgot to tape it this morning at 3:30 am!!!

Back to Nascar. I went to Dover for the MBNA 400 in June and there probably isnt a bad seat in that racetrack. 1 mile, grandstands around the whole thing. You can see every bit of action because you can view the whole racetrack. I can't imagine going to someplace like Daytona or Talladega. 2.5 miles... you better hope you dont miss those cars when they come by your section of track. because you wont see em for another minute or 2

I was riding Ernesto Fonseca's 2001 season, YZ250F race bike. A friend of mine bought it from Yamaha of Troy after last season. The header pipe completely fell off when I was blasting through a wash doing a little sand practice. It scared the heck out of me, thought I just blew the engine and was going to have to pay a couple of grand out of pocket. We pushed it back to the road and brought my truck over to load it up. It didn't do any damage to the engine and I shut it down right away so I really can't say how long you can ride or what kind of damage could be done. It seems the YZF has a problem with after market pipes and the connection to the cylinder. The end of the pipe has a collar put on it before the titanium is rolled to make a flange style fit. Titanium is so brittle coupled with the vibration it has a tendency to crack. The pipe was from DSP and they warrantied it but it took about three months to get a replacement and was an extreme hassle. I think they sould recess the collar with a little bevel for a relief and then weld the end flange instead of rolling it. They way it was set up is just a bad design, the mechanics at Troy said this has happened to a lot of their race bikes. Obviously it still is happening. Hopefully they will get it right before it costs them to many points, not that I'm a Reed fan, I would like to see Walker on the podium more often.

Speaking about bad seats, anyplace that seats almost a 1/2 million people, is going to have a majority of the seats postioned badly. Its just physics. Dont get me wrong, Id love to go the Indy 500. But man, that place is the embodiment of "big".

I think when two riders decide to throw blows, the should be REQUIRED to box 3 full rounds, with gloves after the race. No ifs ands or buts. Glove up and go for it. This requirement, will force the heated head to think, lest it get pounded with no helmet. Just me .02$

Years ago, I saw a similar thing happen to Bob Hannah at the Hangtown National race (old track). He was pulling away from everyone when the pipe on his 125 2-stroke broke off. The bike suddenly had less power than a PW50. Hannah kept the bike pinned, sputtering away, as he helplessly watch rider after rider pass him.