HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vanilla_Gorilla

Oil pressure sensor!

9 posts in this topic

after reading numerous posts on oil pump failures, i became worried.

However, WORRY NO MORE!

I am currently working on a simple and compact oil pressure sensor and low pressure warning light that will flash. I have a few ideas and when i decide on one, i will post an update with instructions and pictures. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I am going to use a sensor from a Kohler 24 horse v-twin engine and power it with either a lighting coil or a simple 9 volt battery, after i get specs on the switch.

-alex

What would be the way to go is to have an idicater that the trip went off and have the warning light just kill the engine if the oil pressure gets too low. That way when your our in the middle of no where youll have an idea of why the bike died, and an overide to get it back to the truck, albiet slowly, but back.

How 'bout a warning horn instead of a light. Used in boats-small, light, can attach it any where easily, and is loud as heck. I don't know if I would notice a light when I'm riding, but you would hear that alarm go off if you mounted it behind the number plate or on the bar clamp. Also where would you mount the sender and at what psi would it go off?

How 'bout a warning horn instead of a light. Used in boats-small, light, can attach it any where easily, and is loud as heck. I don't know if I would notice a light when I'm riding, but you would hear that alarm go off if you mounted it behind the number plate or on the bar clamp. Also where would you mount the sender and at what psi would it go off?

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:

What would be the way to go is to have an idicater that the trip went off and have the warning light just kill the engine if the oil pressure gets too low. That way when your our in the middle of no where youll have an idea of why the bike died, and an overide to get it back to the truck, albiet slowly, but back.

Ummm, I don't know about you, but I would sure hate to have it shut the engine down on the approach to a 4th gear, 110 ft stepdown....that's just a bad idea! :) Anything that autmatically turns the engine off (and has the potential to do it even when nothing is wrong) is a BadThing© in motocross riding :D

Therap, good point. A siezed crank will do the same thing though.

Seems like a 110 foot step UP would be worse, NO?

I think a siezing motor would be less abrupt than a total loss of spark. They usually tend to stick and drag a little before they become one. (usually) The sensor is not a bad idea.....but, I wouldn't want it to stop my motor either.

if it was a step down, you get to keep rolling with flailing limbs, if its a step up then you get to smack right into the face...to me they're both bad