HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XR650LIke

Gear Change & Carb/airbox/filter mods for stock exhaust (02 XR650L)

5 posts in this topic

I just bought a 2002 XR650L. Gearing seems way too tall for the kind of riding I'd like to do. Need to lower the gearing for riding trails/fire roads but still be able to do 60 - 70 MPH without buzzing the motor too hard. I've heard limited information about modifying the carb/jetting and snorkel/filter/airbox as well. I plan on keeping the stock exhaust. Live and ride in PA between 500-2500 feet in elevation. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

gearing wise i'd install a 14 on the front.

jetting/ airbox i'd install a UNI,remove top snorkle,remove smog octopus(IMS/baja designs)go to a 52 pilot,158 main,shim the needle.015-020",grind off tab on mixture screw.

And most important,Dispose of DeathWings and install decent tires :thumbsup:

Add something to this: drill the vacuum ports in the slide out to 5/32 of an inch- this greatly improves throttle response.

Dave

There is a good article at 4strokes.com on how to remove the smog pump. It was free too, just find 2 pieces of metal for the block off plates. I kept my eyes open for a couple days and eventually found 2 pcs that fit perfectly without grinding, on the ground.