Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loufish

Kennedy Medows this coming weekend...any advice?

7 posts in this topic

Between 4-6 of us will be heading out to K/M this weekend, a couple of BRPs, a YZF450 quad, and a couple of other 4-strokes. First time for all of us, we are looking to ride some place a little cooler then our usual desert. Any advice or hints to help the ride be more successful?

Good luck with the quad, there is only one or two trails that are legal for quads. Also, unless you camp at Monache, don't bother pulling it off the trailer, you'll probably get a ticket. Have fun though.

Good luck with the quad, there is only one or two trails that are legal for quads. Also, unless you camp at Monache, don't bother pulling it off the trailer, you'll probably get a ticket. Have fun though.

Now you have my attention...do you mean the trails aren't wide enough for quads? If you have a red or green sticker on your quad, isn't that enough? :thumbsup:

The trails are motorcycle only. The only area quads are allowed are Sherman Peak 4x4 road and Monache Jeep Trail. The rangers will cite if ridden elsewhere (this includes the campground)

The Kennedy Meadows area has some great motorcycle trails. Note, these are 12"-36" wide trails. You may want to leave the quad at home. Check out this link for information about the area and trails. http://www.kernvalley.com/news/offroad.htm

When you get there, stop at the Blackrock Information Station and pick up some trail maps. It might be a good idea to get one of those free fire permits too.

The Kennedy Meadows campground is for camping only, no bikes. Camp at either Troy Meadows or Fish Creek, both of which have motorcycle trails that lead out of the campground. If the campgrounds are full, you can camp in the overflow campgrounds, which require a fire permit to have a campfire.

Take a backpack and carry your lunch, water, snacks, one-time-use camera, TP, Advil, tools, etc., with you on your ride and try making a loop out of some of the trails. It's easy to pull off a 6-hour loop ride.

The elevation is about 8000 feet so jet accordingly.

Bring some warm clothes. It gets a bit cold at night.

The elevation is about 8000 feet so jet accordingly.

Does anybody have any jetting recomendations? I thought I can get away with just a quick adjustment on the idle screw...out is rich, right?

You will be fine with reg jetting. I never rejet my pig in KM. It doesn't have all of the power it does at 0-2000 feet, but there is plenty. I have ridden to about 10,000 feet with no problems. The 2 stroke is a whole diff story :thumbsup: