426 JUMPING OUT OF 5TH GEAR?

HAS ANYBODY HEARD OF A PROBLEM WITH THE 2001 426 GEARS. MINE HAS BEEN JUMPING IN AND OUT OF 5TH GEAR. I WAS TOLD BY THE SHOP IT WAS EITHER A GEAR UNDER-CUTT PROBLEM OR A BENT SHIFT FORK. IF YOU HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM LET ME KNOW HOW MUCH AND WHAT IT TOOK TO FIX IT. THANKS

Buy a YZ450 you won't have to worry about that.

I've not heard of 5th gear problems, but I HAVE heard plenty about 4th gear failures. That problem would make me extremely nervous about racing or practicing on a M/X track.

I have heard of problems with the trannys too. A search might turn up some good info. I would tear it down or have the dealer tear it down and check it out.

My WR4 had the same problem! The 3rd-5th gear dogs were rounded due probably to a BENT shift fork. I had to strip down and replace the 3rd/5th gears and all selectors. One of the new replacement selectors was "beefed up". I have heard of a few other YZ/WR's having this problem but it's not that widespread. :)

mine popped out of 5th yesterday, first time for me. i just think i didnt get it clicked all the way, i dont need 5th for mx anyways so i dont worry about it

if you race the desert then i guess it would be a problem

[ August 03, 2002: Message edited by: thumper4life ]

My 426 started it in 4th. I had a bent shifting fork & rounded dogs. I've heard of people that kept riging theirs and they broke gears & cases.

I just got done rebuilding mine because of the same problem. I put 2 new shift forks and 2 new gears. I have been told this happens when they get alot of hours on them. I have also heard landin jumps on the gas hard in 4 or 5th can cause the shift fork to bend. It just happened to me after I started jumping a BIG up hill rollerlanding jump. You hit in fourth or fifth and land on the gas. I cannot say that was the cause, but it makes me wonder. ---Mike

The Australian 2002 YZ/WR models supposely got the updated or "beefed up" selector(s) that I got. Yamaha were definitely moving to fix a problem..

THESE THINGS HAVE 5 GEARS :)

LOL!

I was reading the post and was going to post EXACTLY what Ego posted, but sure enough, I got down here and there it is....

When I start thinking like Ego, i think its time for me to be verrrry scared. :)

In my best Yoda after Young Skywalker said Im not afraid

"You Will Be,,,You Willll Beeeee"

:)