HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dcg4403

shock spring rate help..used 426

4 posts in this topic

I recently bought an 02 426 with Race Tech suspension both front and back. I was checking free sag today and it is over 220 mm with me on board. The seller told me it was setup for up to an 180lb rider. He was a small dude (~165lbs) so I don't know what rate the spring had but this seems like an extremely high free sag. Would this much sag make much since with a 206lb rider on board? Do you think Race Tech also dropped the pressure in the rear shock? Do I need to do more than simply install a new RachTech with a higher spring rate?

Devin

when you say free sag you are measuring the bike with it supporting just it's weight, then you climb on board (with gear) and measure it again. The difference is the sag you should be measuring.

Check out RaceTech's site if you haven't already. Race Tech

Yea, I thought so myself. Maybe I screwed it up but I'm usually pretty good at getting stuff like this right. But I'm a know-it-all.....

Measured (A) = height from the rear axle to a perpendicular point directly above (used a reference off the rear plastic) with only the bike (static weight)

Measured (:thumbsup: = same reference points but with my full weight on the pegs.

B - A = free sag = ~200mm.

I warmed up the suspension prior to measuring. Like I said, maybe I seriously goofed but I did take multiply measurements. Even with that sag that bike certainly still has more travel so I don't know that I agree with shockdoc's statement.

Devin