Pastrana and Metzger Dazzle 'Em at Gravity Games

Whose life is it anyway? I'd say he can do whatever the hell he wants. I don't wake up on Saturday and sit by the TV waiting to catch a glimpse of Travis. He's bad to the bone (broken?) and he knows it. There'll be another phenom soon enough...Stewart might fit the bill.

And, anybody who doesn't think Freestylers are fast is crazy. I'd imagine that most of those guys can smoke most of the poster/posers on this site. Anyway, don't you think it would be kick butt to be beaten by somebody that does a back-flip over the finish line jump? That would be a serious smack to your Moto-X manhood. Now go ride.

Originally posted by Scott F:

Hey Merf, did you see Hack posting on TT? He has thumpin on his mind (YZ450F).

Sadly, Pastrana will barely have time to heal, let alone get up to race speed, before Anaheim '03. If he doesn't win or wad in SX, then the Nats may be his last chance at redemption since Stewart will arrive in '04.

I saw the name and sent him email asking if that was him. I tried to convince him to buy a 426 instead of that smoker anyway. :)

Regarding Travis, man, I'm disappointed. I've always thought he handled himself with great aplomb. He's recently dropped a couple of notches in my appreciation though.. once when he was practicing backflips while "recuperating". The other was competing in the GGames while "recuperating" Sorry, he's getting paid to race SX, IMHO.

I know if I were spending my time doing something that endangered my primary job, instead of doing my job, I'd have my butt in a sling.

I guess I'll just have to be labeled a crack smoking racer wannabee. Sobeit.

Merf

BTW, JSTJ... a serious slap is pulling over to let 2nd catch you, reel him back in, and win by 15 seconds. Just MHO, YMMV. And yea, I agree with "it's his life" and I don't really care what he does, it's just disappointing to me on a different level.

You know whats really funny is that it seems no one gives a crap about Metzger, all the focus is on "Revelation" boy.

I just wanted him to heal up so I could see if he could keep up with RC outdoors since nobody else seems able to step it up.

He would either keep up, or crash trying.

Exciting either way.

[ August 06, 2002: Message edited by: Hokie ]

Originally posted by Merfman:

I know if I were spending my time doing something that endangered my primary job, instead of doing my job, I'd have my butt in a sling.

Like hanging out on TT? :)

Originally posted by Hokie:

Like hanging out on TT? :)

Notice I said "endangered" not hampered. :D

You still going to the 4str Nats Sunday? I'm thinking we'll go up in time for practice. We should find a place to hook up.

Merf

Tell ya this, when Pastrana gets back on the race course, he's gonna be in for a rude awakening. He'll not only have Carmichael to deal with, he gets Lewis, LaRocco, Ferry, a healthy Tortelli, Lusk-which will have a new bike, along with Ferry, possibly Mikel Pinchon (angry frog),not to mention Sean Hamblin.

His hands are full. The bar has been raised, and quite a bit since the last time Pastrana twisted the wrist in anger.

Then he'll have do deal with Bubba. That kid is a freakn pit bull. Just wait till Bubba's 19 or 20. Say so long to the record books, he's gonna burn'em all.

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:

Tell ya this, when Pastrana gets back on the race course, he's gonna be in for a rude awakening. He'll not only have Carmichael to deal with, he gets Lewis, LaRocco, Ferry, a healthy Tortelli, Lusk-which will have a new bike, along with Ferry, possibly Mikel Pinchon (angry frog),not to mention Sean Hamblin.

His hands are full. The bar has been raised, and quite a bit since the last time Pastrana twisted the wrist in anger.

Then he'll have do deal with Bubba. That kid is a freakn pit bull. Just wait till Bubba's 19 or 20. Say so long to the record books, he's gonna burn'em all.

Word!!!!! The window of opportunity will only be open so long. Yes Travis is amazing but he just doesn't want to win (at racing) as bad as others do. I used to cheer for him but now, why should I want him to beat anyone else out there. He listened to music in his helmet at Glen Helen, to me that means he doesn't want it bad enough, he would rather just fake it. He could be champ (at supercross) if he wanted to but he's just a kid that would rather dazzle the fans and make money doin cool tricks... (Sounds better than my job).

I've never seen any of these guys in person, but from what I have seen on TV I think Travis can beat anybody. Anytime. Even Bubba. Even RC.

If his head is in it.

I know Bubba and RC are "otherworldly" fast, but Bubba's competition isn't that formidable. Of course, he can get even better, which is scary. As for RC he is obviously the fastest guy right now, but I still think a healthy and motivated Travis has the potential to smoke everybody. I just wonder if we'll ever see any of that potential.

That is my opinion.

He is still very young, hopefully his knee will approach 80% or 90% before next year's SX season.

Originally posted by Hick:

I've never seen any of these guys in person, but from what I have seen on TV I think Travis can beat anybody. Anytime. Even Bubba. Even RC.

If his head is in it.

I know Bubba and RC are "otherworldly" fast, but Bubba's competition isn't that formidable. Of course, he can get even better, which is scary. As for RC he is obviously the fastest guy right now, but I still think a healthy and motivated Travis has the potential to smoke everybody. I just wonder if we'll ever see any of that potential.

That is my opinion.

He is still very young, hopefully his knee will approach 80% or 90% before next year's SX season.

Pure speculation. He hasn't shown any potential on the 250 yet.

"Travis can beat anybody. Anytime. Even Bubba. Even RC."

That is like saying Superman can beat up The Incredible Hulk or something stupid like that because as of right now, Pastrana doesn't exist.

He should take a lesson from RC and Bubba because these guys don't go taking chances that could hurt their RACING careers.

I just don't think racing is in his blood anymore, I think the freestyle bug bit him and that's probably what he'll be know for. oh well, a waste of talent in my book.

Originally posted by westladog:

Pure speculation. He hasn't shown any potential on the 250 yet.

Ditto Bubba.

Originally posted by yznvegas:

because as of right now, Pastrana doesn't exist.

Travis ain’t RC, he ain’t Bubba, he ain’t Windham. He is Travis.

And whether, in anybody’s mind, he exists or not, he still has the potential to be the best. Ever. I haven’t forgotten that. And I believe that those who have will come around very quickly as soon as we see a healthy TP competing in an AMA event.

Point being, it is a moot comparison. RC is the fastest, that is obvious, but he is not capable of the things that Travis is (CAPABLE being a carefully chosen word). And vice versa. Now, whether or not Travis can make the most of his talents remains to be seen, but he has shown me that when he is on he has an unlimited upside.

To deny the obvious, and almost unlimited, talent that he has is almost like denying that the sky is blue. Even if it is raining, the sky will be blue again soon enough.

Travis probably has the most raw talent of anybody on the race track. If he is healthy for supercross evertbody including RC better look out. For all of you people who were on the Travis bandwagon a year ago what happened are you on the Bubba bandwagon this year?

Originally posted by JSTheJack:

Whose life is it anyway? I'd say he can do whatever the hell he wants. I don't wake up on Saturday and sit by the TV waiting to catch a glimpse of Travis. He's bad to the bone (broken?) and he knows it. There'll be another phenom soon enough...Stewart might fit the bill.

And, anybody who doesn't think Freestylers are fast is crazy. I'd imagine that most of those guys can smoke most of the poster/posers on this site. Anyway, don't you think it would be kick butt to be beaten by somebody that does a back-flip over the finish line jump? That would be a serious smack to your Moto-X manhood. Now go ride.

I'll second that.

I'm suprised at how critical some folks here are; like its your life or something.

I'd be happier than a pig eat'en slop to do some of that stuff. Hell, I get excited flying 40 foot over a table top.

Anyway, been raining here (finally) and the dirt in the desert is great right now.

Merf,

No doubt, Bubba really slapped Reed with that "in-your-face-let-you-pass-me...then I'll pass you back in a big way". Stewart is fast. I didn't anybody could keep the throttle pinned in a hair-pin turn; there's no getting on the gas early in the turn....it's always on. But, a back flip in front of ya over the finish line is some serious spank. That just kicks.

Bubba's a dick. Josh Woods was beating his ass off at the Winter Olympics and Bubba's bike supposedly had problems. He just left it on the other side of the track and told his mechanic to go get it. He is an idiot.

Originally posted by Merfman:

Notice I said "endangered" not hampered. :)

You still going to the 4str Nats Sunday? I'm thinking we'll go up in time for practice. We should find a place to hook up.

Merf

I'm going for sure. Bummed I can't race the amateur races though, Lakewood is a fun track. Check your PM for my cell#.

Tim

Hick if you want to throw around the word CAPABLE, you gotta say Windam with it. Kevin Windam consistenly lapped faster in practice that everybody. Not a little faster but seconds faster. Ya know why nobody cared? Because they knew when the gate dropped so did Windams desire. Raw talent, Id say Kevin Windam is probably the deepest pool in MX world wide right now. But talent dont win. Desire mulitplied by talent wins. And since disire is a multiplier, it can trump talent.

Look at Marty Smith. He wasnt smooth, or even extremely fast, but Smith was as fast on the last lap as he was on the first. That is desire and conditioning. He worked like a dog.

Pastrana, and Windam too, they both seem to work like the postal service. Granted Pastrana has talent, but he's also distracted by shiny things. If I was Roger DeCoster, Id make Travis a deal. Id tell him, go ahead and ride all the freestyle you want, and we'll give ya free bikes, and a $50,000 base salary. His name still sells stuff. Then Id go throw money at Kyle Lewis, like its going outa style. Possibly even Paul Carpenter. At least they would have a remote chance of winning a moto, with Hamblin and Carpenter, it would be a team, and they could use Carpenter to develop a decent fourstroke too.