HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Siers55

Exhaust leak question

4 posts in this topic

I have a stock headpipe and a FMF stainless midpipe. I cannot seem to get a good seal where the two pipes connect. I have tried Ultimate Black silicone and 762 joint compound. The high heat just burns the stuff off. Also the vibreation creates cracks. Neither of these have produced a good seal. I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have a compound they would recommend to get a tight seal.

2) The leak is small. How much of a problem is this?

On my Big gun exhaust it just used a slip on joint to connect the two and would results in quite the exhaust leak...i took the muffler section and cut three 1/2 inch long by 1/16 inch wide incisions around the diameter where it connects with the header and then clamped it to the headpipe using the stock exhaust clamp...worked great and no more leaks.

Hey i was thinking about machining some exhaust flanges like cars have but smaller version and that way they just bolt up with a gasket in between and no leak at all but i would weld the header flange back a little bit from the end that way it still slide up in the muffler pipe side. Then after that it be a sure leak proof connection and easy to undo and put back all u have to do is buy a gasket every now and then. Or ur could just wrap it up like twice with header wrap?

Is there a recommended sealant I can put on the connection. I want to avoid major alterations to the pipe.

SAS

:thumbsup: