Exhaust leak question

I have a stock headpipe and a FMF stainless midpipe. I cannot seem to get a good seal where the two pipes connect. I have tried Ultimate Black silicone and 762 joint compound. The high heat just burns the stuff off. Also the vibreation creates cracks. Neither of these have produced a good seal. I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have a compound they would recommend to get a tight seal.

2) The leak is small. How much of a problem is this?

On my Big gun exhaust it just used a slip on joint to connect the two and would results in quite the exhaust leak...i took the muffler section and cut three 1/2 inch long by 1/16 inch wide incisions around the diameter where it connects with the header and then clamped it to the headpipe using the stock exhaust clamp...worked great and no more leaks.

Hey i was thinking about machining some exhaust flanges like cars have but smaller version and that way they just bolt up with a gasket in between and no leak at all but i would weld the header flange back a little bit from the end that way it still slide up in the muffler pipe side. Then after that it be a sure leak proof connection and easy to undo and put back all u have to do is buy a gasket every now and then. Or ur could just wrap it up like twice with header wrap?

Is there a recommended sealant I can put on the connection. I want to avoid major alterations to the pipe.

SAS

:thumbsup: