HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mxrider426

Compression

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how much compression a 426 should get if you do a compression test?

1) push kickstarter to TDC

2) DO NOT pull compression release

3) stand on the kickstart lever.

4) if the lever won't go down within 2-3 secs, you have plenty of compression :)

J/K- I do not remember the actual numbers pal...the manual has it in there?

On a test, Id be looking for about 180 psi. Your going to have to bump it (push start type) to get a read, because if ya pull the comp release...get the idea?

Get it rolling pretty good in 3rd or 4th, and remember the throttle should be wide open.

you can also use long 1\2" ratchet with 14mm socket just remove ignition cover plug and turn motor over wwith flywheel nut

I can't find a fitting for the comp tester that fits the plug hole. Anyone know where to get one?

instead of speading $150 on leakdown tester i made my own.you can make a compression tester same way.i busted out the ceramic inside of old spark plug then tapped inside plug [1\4"tap].i then bought a grease gun hose.1\8" fittings on ends.i also bought 2 1\8" to 1\4"couplers and attached spark plug on 1 end and compressor fitting on other.you would only need to use coupler for plug end compression test gauges have 1\8" inletleakdown%20tester1234.jpg

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]