HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TallBoysWRF

UFO chain slider a piece of crap?

6 posts in this topic

I just replaced my (what I assume to be the stock) chain slider (front of swing arm) and put a new UFO unit on it. I have ridden the bike about 100 mi. on dirt roads/two-tracks, and the think is almost worn completely through. When I sit on the bike the chain is about a half inch above the slider when it is taught, so I don't know how it would wear out so fast. Are these units just junk? My chain is just a tad tight, but it's not like a bow string at all. Would running the chain a tad loose make any difference? As far as sag is concerned, the bike is set for a lighter rider than 195lbs. so I don't think that is a problem. Any help would be appreciated. Is there a better brand of chain slider I should use? What are your guys' thoughts?

Use a MSR or TM design guard or an OEM one.. All of the UFO plastic is crap, it lasts about 30% of what the stock plastic does. And the holes rarely match up well.. Just my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

Yes, the UFO slider is a piece of crap. I got one once thinking I was clever because it was cheap but it lasted only a few rides before it was toast. I stick with OEM now. One hint for prolonging the life of these things: glue them down to the top of the swingarm. I use "Automotive Goop". It keeps it from flopping around and wearing prematurely.

It fits poorly and wears out your swingarm too.

I'll never use one again.

I put a UFO slider on a few months ago. I ride every weekend. It's worn, but still has a lot of life left. I put some 3mm rubber mat on top of the swingarm and stuck it down with sikaflex.