HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XR650LKJP

650L rack - need more weight

9 posts in this topic

I am looking for a rack for the rear fender on my L. I have seen the one at BD but are there any others. I just want something to attach my sleeping bag/ tent to. Thanks.

This one looks pretty nice. Haven't tried it though.

http://www.mcenterprisesusa.com/products/search/dsp_searchForm.cfm

Type in part # 10-50-09 in the keyword search. It retails for $81, and nothing on the bike needs to be moved/removed. They will state last fitting was performed on a '99 L, but they haven't changed through '04.

May be slightly heavier than the aluminum alternatives, but would be stronger, and is definitely cheaper. Seems like the better choice if you aren't a welder/fabricator.

This was taken from a post I saw before. :thumbsup:

I have this rack at home. I have an FMF 'Q' exhaust slip on. The rack assumes stock exhaust. The brackets won't clear the FMF :devil:. You may want to call and ask about it if you have an aftermarket exhaust.

Just FYI.....

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Mike in KC

Not sure how much weight you can put on there- some serious luggers have broken the fender support subframe by loading up too much.

I bought one of those racks for my XR650L. The price was right. It doesn't fit exactly right, it's slightly off when installed, and needed some juggling to install. I mention this because someone else on another forum complained about it, and he was right. But it works, and it's only $80. Get lockwashers, because my screws vibrated loose after a long trip.

Get one of those $5 plastic folder crates from Wal-Mart that look like milk crates. Cut off the sides (maybe), then tie it to the rack. Or, better yet, go to OfficeMax and get a metal office stationary rack. Cut off the legs, and then place this on the bike rack. Put the bottom part of that plastic crate on top, and now you have a 11 x 14 area to tie a sleeping bag on the back.

If you want to see my loaded bike, go to advrider, post 19 in this thread. I rode 1500 mi. in 7 days, including at least 300 mi. of easy dirt.

Check the post I have in the for sale section "XR650L Parts". I have a rack (that fit even when I installed my Yosh pipe) plus some other goodies. All very reasonably priced. :thumbsup: