HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hagen505

650 L switch to kick start. possible?

8 posts in this topic

Here is a question that I ahve been tossing around. I have the L. and it seems to me that the 600xr and my bike have a lot in common such as the frame, engine case, seat, tank, etc. It seems to me that if I were able to dump the battery and starter I would be able to lose about 20 lbs of weight, and pretty much have a street legal xr600 + an extra 50cc's. What do you think?

It's possible, but you need to split the cases. One of the transmission shafts needs to be changed, and of course you would need the kick start gear, kick start lever and right side cover from a 600R. I have everything except the side cover, I have a 600R parts motor and I was thinking of adding kickstart to my 650 for backup. I don't know about removing the starter and battery, but I suppose you'd need the left side cover from a 600R if you took off the starter.

I'm intrigued with the thought of building an "emergency" kickstart that could be attached to the starter drive after removing the cover from the starter drive.

Shoot, if you're stuck even a hand-crank would be worth a shot!

There are posts about doing just this, but using the old NX650 engine and transmission parts. They are a very close match to the XRL. More so than the XR600R.

It would probably be a lot harder to find NX650 parts than 600R goodies since the NX was only imported for two years. Also, I don't think the NX had kick start on the US versions? Either way, you'd still have to split the cases and replace the transmission shaft because that's where the idler gear for the kick start rides.

Do you realize you and "Hagen" have the same registered 'on TT' date and really have same or similar bike interests. OOoOOOOhhhhHHHH scary. Go buy a lotto ticket. (Don't ask how I noticed the dates... just odd to me)

Do you realize you and "Hagen" have the same registered 'on TT' date and really have same or similar bike interests. OOoOOOOhhhhHHHH scary. Go buy a lotto ticket. (Don't ask how I noticed the dates... just odd to me)

Wow, that is wierd. If he has a garage full of kids bikes too then I'll buy the lotto ticket.