Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
r_dawg1021

Disgusted-Starting issue while on trail today<Rant>

21 posts in this topic

Was out with a couple friends today and had a flawless session until I set my bike down. I set it down on the clutch side for about 15 seconds. After picking it up it would not start or even sound like it wanted to. I did not touch the throttle, didnt use 'choke', simply used the magic button.

2 hours later-

After trying to bump start it and having everyone have their turn at kicking it we decided to have someone go back and get my truck. While they were gone I unscrewed the screw on the carb to drain it. I was really hoping that would help things. Didnt do anything.

4 hours later-

After returning back to his house and drinking a beer or two we decided to go kick it over and see what we got. Well, it started after 10 or so kicks which is still about 7 kicks too many.

This is just a rant but if anyone has any suggestions as to this maybe being an SJ issue or something else I would appreciate it. Both friends were on Honda 's and they were saying they were glad they didnt go with the WR, I need to make things right so they know it's not a lemon. It's an '04 450. :thumbsup:

Hey Bro,

I have over 1100 miles on my WR450 and no such probs. I am at 400 feet mean sea level in the western AZ desert. Worst start prob for me was stalled in 2 feet of water. Made it to the other bank and it stalled. Took about 1 minute and I used the HOTSTART. If you crashed on the clutch side, maybe the choke popped out??

IMHO..... :thumbsup:

Azemon

Let's get together sometime and go riding. I live in Havasu and I'm in Parker at my river house often to go riding on my 04 WR450. :thumbsup:

Hey Bro,

I have over 1100 miles on my WR450 and no such probs. I am at 400 feet mean sea level in the western AZ desert. Worst start prob for me was stalled in 2 feet of water. Made it to the other bank and it stalled. Took about 1 minute and I used the HOTSTART. If you crashed on the clutch side, maybe the choke popped out??

IMHO..... :devil:

Azemon

You may have done this but not mentioned it. Try a new spark plug, your old one may be getting fouled.

Good point. That was the one thing we thought maybe might have been the problem. If the plug gets fouled does it eventually start again once it dries out, or is it done for good? Maybe I'll throw a new plug in there just to be safe. Thanks for the advice.

4 storkes can foul plugs really easy. Here in Colorado the guys with 426 were fouling them like crazy in the Winter. They figured out that oxy fuels were causing the problem, we only have oxy fuels in Winter. So they started mixing 1/2 pump gas with 1/2 race gas and solved the problem.

You could have a partial fouling going on.

I had a similar problem earlier this week. I had just had my new Hot Cams installed and brought the bike home. I fired it up, it ran for about 10 seconds and then died. I kicked until my foot was bruised and it would not start. Pulled out the plug, which any of you guys who have done so know is not exactly easy on these bikes, cleaned it, and it still would not start. But when I put a new one in it fired up first kick and ran great all day saturday. It was just an old plug and I guess that with the extra gas making it's way into the cylinder, thanks to the new cams, it fouled. I think the plug that was in there was the stock plug anyways. I've never changed it and from the looks of it neither had the dealership when it went in for valve adjustments.

The first 4 stroke I bought was a 2000 WR400. The guy had been injuried and left it sitting for about 6 months. We tried everything when I went and looked at it and couldn't get it to start. I suggested to him to try a new plug and he replied "It never fouls plugs". I left then called him back a few hours later and said I would take it for $500 less then his low he told me "as is". He bit, I took it home, put a new plug in, fired right up and never had another problem with it. Sometimes you get lucky like that, sometimes not.

The first 4 stroke I bought was a 2000 WR400. The guy had been injuried and left it sitting for about 6 months. We tried everything when I went and looked at it and couldn't get it to start. I suggested to him to try a new plug and he replied "It never fouls plugs". I left then called him back a few hours later and said I would take it for $500 less then his low he told me "as is". He bit, I took it home, put a new plug in, fired right up and never had another problem with it. Sometimes you get lucky like that, sometimes not.

My kit has two spare plugs in it. I don't foul plugs very often, but man it's such a PITA when you do. It's cheap insurance.

Also, when I have a problem starting it after say a weird offcamber upsidedown incidents or whatever. I pull the hotstart, give it 10 easy kicks, push the hotstart back in and it usually fires right up.

A friend of mine once told me that I had, "Four-Stroke Arrogance" :lol: for not carrying a extra plug. I never even carried my plug wrench because I was so confident that I would never have a problem. :awww: Well one day I dumped my bike in the water and I could not start it because of Hydro-lock. I had to have the bike brought back to camp by truck. I carry an extra plug and the wrench now. :thumbsup: He has a KX500 and he always carries an extra plug and he has never had to use it on the trail. :devil:

A friend of mine once told me that I had, "Four-Stroke Arrogance" :D for not carrying a extra plug. I never even carried my plug wrench because I was so confident that I would never have a problem. :devil: Well one day I dumped my bike in the water and I could not start it because of Hydro-lock. I had to have the bike brought back to camp by truck. I carry an extra plug and the wrench now. :thumbsup: He has a KX500 and he always carries an extra plug and he has never had to use it on the trail. :awww:

Sounds like you were in the same situation as me JVP. All I could think about while they left me was what a POS my bike is. It's practically brand new and the thing appears to be more tempermental than my chick. :lol:

This maybe a no brainer.Did you try turning the fuel off and kicking it over a bit.My mate dumped his new xr400 last week and kicked it for ten mins.After he was nackered i turned the fuel off and kicked it and eventually it started.My 426 was a classic for doing this when i dumped it.The first time 5 of us kicked the crap out of it for at least an hour.Another rider come along and turned the fuel off and bugger me if it didn't start.

Some bikes take a while to learn there kinks.Peservere and you will love it.

Dave

i would bet it was just flooded, turn off the gas and pull in the compression release and kick it quickly aboyt 10-15 times then run on the gas and i bet it would have started.

I have not had that problem on my WR but my YZ has done that to me a few times and the above procedure works everytime for me anyway.

No. When I got back to camp I was able to pull the plug and about 4oz of water came out of the hole. I cycled it about twenty times, shot some air in the spark plug hole, put a new plug in and off I went. I managed to catch up with the group and had a great day after all, other than being ridiculed at the camp that night for not bring a spark plug wrench. I deserved it. :thumbsup:

This maybe a no brainer.Did you try turning the fuel off and kicking it over a bit.My mate dumped his new xr400 last week and kicked it for ten mins.After he was nackered i turned the fuel off and kicked it and eventually it started.My 426 was a classic for doing this when i dumped it.The first time 5 of us kicked the crap out of it for at least an hour.Another rider come along and turned the fuel off and bugger me if it didn't start.

Some bikes take a while to learn there kinks.Peservere and you will love it.

Dave

I ended up unscrewing the drain plug on the side of the carb, unhooking the gas line and kicking it over for about 15 minutes. I wanted to make sure absolutely no gas was getting in there while I was trying to get everything burned out. It sounds like it was just extremely flooded which I am still boggled by cause I did nothing to deserve such treatment. If leaning the bike over for 10 seconds on the clutch side causes this, it's gonna be a long season.

I got my Baja Kit so I guess I should stop bitching about this and install it so I have something else to [@#$%&*!] about :thumbsup:

One thing I didnt try was using the compression release right away when restarting, I'll be sure to use that next time. Thanks for all the feedback, now I just need it to happen again so I can use this knowledge....

, now I just need it to happen again so I can use this knowledge....

Why don't you experiment at home by trying to simulate what happened and see if you can find a way to start it easier. I'd rather do that than wait till you out with your buddies, get embarrassed and come on here saying you got stuck again, because of the bike. :thumbsup:

Why don't you experiment at home by trying to simulate what happened and see if you can find a way to start it easier. I'd rather do that than wait till you out with your buddies, get embarrassed and come on here saying you got stuck again, because of the bike. :thumbsup:

Sure, I'll go dump my bike in my front yard right now and let you know what happens.

Can you do the same mods on your bike as the 02' wr426??? If so, the blue wire mod and the BK mod help eliminate these problems. Just a thought :thumbsup:, I know if I use old or crap gas, my plugs gone...these mods are going to fix that anoyance....I HOPE...

I've had a problem like this one time in the three yrs I've had 426/450's and sure enough it was the plug. Being an old 2 stroke guy I just assumed that if the plug was fouled the bike wouldn't run at all but have now learned that in the 4 stroke this is not the case. It may run rough with a fouled plug or it may just be "on the edge of fouling" and the tip over and the extra fuel did you in. I NEVER changed the plug in my 426 and it never fouled, but now I change the plug about every three months with major maintence on the 450. We used to carry 4 or 5 spark plugs with the early 2 strokes just to finish a race so I'm pretty happy to do the "4 a year" program. BTW the Honda will do the same thing so roost them for me on your next ride. Happy Trails! Big Jim :devil::thumbsup: