Heads Up at Gorman / Red Sticker Issue

I went up to Gorman this weekend with the intent of riding in Los Padres National Forest. I knew that the red sticker was out of season but Gorman historically wasn't enforcing the dates. Well, this time the guy at the gate said it was out of season. He let me in but said the rangers may give me a ticket. May cost $400 or $500. I went riding anyway but I was paranoid the whole day.

Aside from just being bummed out, does anyone have any comments on this. Can the rangers actually give the tickets or arrest you. The guy at the gate said the ranger's can run your number just like a license plate. I guess there goes the whole buying a old bike just for the green sticker. Do rangers ever go out on the trails with bikes or are they usually just on and near the roads with their 4WD's.

Harold

Why would the guy at the gate let you in if you can't ride? I think if that happened to me, I would lust play dumb with the ranger. Remember, its only a smog issue and only below certain elevations. Its not like you are running with out a spark arrestor or something. I would ride guilt free and if I got a ticket would fight it tooth and nail. Just my .02 cents. Play safe! P

Khris,

The ranger that stopped us was very friendly - ended up chatting with him for ~20 minutes. It was shortly after they started enforcing street legal only on Gold Hill Rd & here comes 2 dual sported bikes so he waved us over. And there was the whole red vs green sticker thing going on. No big deal. I don't know if he would have issued a citation if my bike was a red sticker bike or not. I believe that even if you have a red sticker VIN and receive a green sticker you can be cited and the cop/rangers attitude will be to let the judge decide - the citation probably depends more on your attitude. The ranger did mention stopping guys on YZ/WR with Arizona plates and asking them why they had CA drivers license's..... Bike's were red sticker bikes according to the ranger.

Brian

Have you guys ever seen a ranger on a motorcycle in the woods. I saw a rescue team once but that was different. The rangers I have seen have been in 4wd SUV's that were on dirt or paved roads. I hate being on that Gold Hill Road because I'm not plated, but its the only connection between some of the trails without backtracking.

Harold

[This message has been edited by Harold in So Cal (edited 06-05-2001).]

The only place I've seen a ranger on a bike was up north of Fresno on a Jeep trail called Swamp Lake. We were out in our jeeps and a ranger cruised up on a trials bike and chatted for a while and then kept going. Ohh and then there's Glamis. On big weekends they are in trucks, buggies, and quads but then again Glamis is a whole different world on big weekends.

------------------

Khris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

What are you, YELLOW?

Was in Southern CO. near Ouray riding with a ranger. His tag was expired, but he had a new KTM (to him). If you run across a nazi then you'll be in court, otherwise you're probably safe. Most folks think the WR is the the Billy bad ass and start talking bikes rather than scrutinizing what I'm riding.

[This message has been edited by John H (edited 06-05-2001).]

Although I haven't ridden there in many years I have seen rangers on bikes in the Kennedy Meadows area. They never hasseled us except to check for spark arrestors and possibly proper registration. They would cruise by the camp site and check for fire permits also. They were always friendly.

Brian, what is a learning year? I have never heard of that before. I was lucky and got a green sticker on my WR. But will soon have it dual sported. Just waiting for Baja Designs to deliver it!

Pmaust,

I read on DRN that the SVRAs - Hollister, Hungry Valley, etc - are not enforcing red sticker closures this year. It is another learning year. The problem that Harold ran into is that Hungry Valley SVRA & Los Padres NF are adjacent to each other with different folks enforcing the rules in each area.

The NF rangers know their **** - the one that stopped my wife & I last year (just wanted to check my '99 WR for red vs green sticker eligibility) knew to look at the VIN & pointed out all the 'missing' street legal equipment on my dual sported WR - tires, tail/brake etc. He was very polite - just doing his job. We were on Gold Hill Rd by one of the trail head of when he flagged us down.

Brian

Brian,

What did he do? I recently renewed my 99 YZ400 and recieved a green sticker eventhough my 8th vin number is one of the two that requires a Red Sticker (C or 3 I think, I don't rmember off the top of my head). DMV's mistake but if I get pulled say by that same guy what's he gonna do. I put the sticker on that they issued me. Every Ranger I've dealt with was cool but then again I was never illegal. I would of coarse treat them with respect but?

------------------

Khris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

What are you, YELLOW?

Saw several rangers on bikes at Gorman on Memorial Day weekend. Always see them at Troy Meadows. Had one step out from behind a bush once and I hit him, whoops! Also see them in Arrowhead, usally at Deep Creek crossing.

Traditionally they were most interested in a vlaid sticker and spark arrestor. Last couple of weeks though they have been measuring db levels. They are keying on gross violators, especially 4-strokes.

If DMV slips you the wrong color sticker make sure to carry a valid registration to eliminate some ticket risk.

There is always the option of getting a non-resident permit. They have them at all the desert races. As long as they can't run the VIN like a cop can then you are clear. I always seem to be riding a "friends" bike. This can backfire though as you are required to carry your registration.

In the long-run, be careful that miss-truths don't lead you to a more expensive fix. Dual sport the bike and register on-road. Just don't let the dealer submit your registration to DMV!

------------------

Rich aka "hodaphile"

'96 KTM 300 EXC (D/S)

'87 Suzuki LT250R Glamis pimp machine- Chrome!

Too many Hodaka to count

http://communities.msn.com/richsmidlifecrisis

What's up with that Goldhill Rd in Gorman? My bike is street legal, but my son's is not and he's not old enough for a license. We come out of Goldhill trail that dumps right onto Goldhill Rd with no trail options other than to return where you came from. Sometimes gas could be a issue if we decided to do that. Truck is 3 miles away or 30 miles away depending if it's legal or not.

I have talked to several bikers there and they said the rangers don't care if you ride the road because they know it's a trap and others said they were told it's illegal and to never try it again. None said they got ticketed

HP

----------------------

99 WR400

This is trully sad guys. Gorman and that whole area is flooded with rangers ready to teach you a lesson on how your tax dollars are hard at work. Back in the good ole days when I use to follow my dad around on his CZ in the area is what its all about. I think I have the best idea... Whenever a ranger waves and tries to pull you over just wave and gas it............ You can give him the bird but make sure you can out run his beat up 1996 XR400 ? If by chance he happens to be a great rider and catches up with you just play stupid and say "dude I thought you were just waving" no harm no foul!!! Right??

Hello................

Hello.................

From DRN:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOOD NEWS for California Residents (for 2001)

Just got off the phone from Hollister - looks like 2001 is another "educational" year for the green/red sticker program. So....all you red sticker holders are allowed to ride another summer wherever you darn well please (Well "Anywhere in the State Park System, and all the other parks are letting people ride this year too" -Park Ranger).

Seems CARB and the DMV can't get their "stuff" together.

Anyway...thought I would pass it along!!

Make sure you let everyone out here know!

Here is the link to the entire thread: http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=15282

Brian

Dan, you crack me up! ?

Oh by the way, I had a 74 CZ400. Not exactly sure about the date. That thing sucked! Kick start was on the wrong side and too high up. Had to prime the carb before starting and every now and then it would kick back and take out a leg. But it was incredibly fast!

[This message has been edited by pmaust (edited 06-07-2001).]

Pmaust, Glad to see you found the humor. ? My dad and I would race desert races double with me on the tank of a 1969 CZ400, I can remember how much he scared me on that thing. He now (inherited) a 74 CZ and I plan on racing it just for fun. Ahhhh the good ole days.......

Cheers pmaust-Dan

Seems like the Rangers aren't a problem but the Sheriff is. They often set up at the base of Gold Hill Rd We had the same issue on that trail, came down as far as the SVRA and then ducked onto trails. Saw tons of non-legal bikes and quads.

If anyone here in Law Enf, help out: What is more severe infraction? M/c license on a street with a dirtbike, No m/c license but street legal bike, No m/c license and dirtbike on street, M/c lic on a registered "street" bike, but nothing other than plates?

I would think the equipment issue is a "fixer" but the others would mean court time or fines wouldn't they?

Originally posted by HP:

What's up with that Goldhill Rd in Gorman? My bike is street legal, but my son's is not and he's not old enough for a license. We come out of Goldhill trail that dumps right onto Goldhill Rd with no trail options other than to return where you came from. Sometimes gas could be a issue if we decided to do that. Truck is 3 miles away or 30 miles away depending if it's legal or not.

I have talked to several bikers there and they said the rangers don't care if you ride the road because they know it's a trap and others said they were told it's illegal and to never try it again. None said they got ticketed

HP

------------------

Rich aka "hodaphile"

'96 KTM 300 EXC (D/S)

'87 Suzuki LT250R Glamis pimp machine- Chrome!

Too many Hodakas to count

http://communities.msn.com/richsmidlifecrisis

• Like 1