Do your friends slam the 4-stroke??

I have the only 4-stroke in my group of riders. My best Bud's have the following bikes: KX250- carbon tech reeds pro-circuit pipe, jetting. ; CR250 Pipe and jetting; KX100 pipe jetting, reeds (The guy that rides it is 5'1 and weighs 110lbs ? and a YZ250 bone stock--------

I got so sick of them all picking on my 4-Stroke .On the track I'm the second best rider, but that’s on just about any bike. So this weekend I called them all out- It's time to drag Race, I shut them all up after that, The only one I had trouble sometimes beating is the CR250, and that was depending on who got the best hole shot, My bike is bone stock and I weigh about 30lbs more then the next guy in line on size.

I was just wondering if anyone else had to do the same to shut those 2-Smokers up!!

Its pretty common for other bike owners to defend their purchases, no matter what bike it may be. Im not suprised with that. The biggest argument the 2-smokers have is the weight issue of the 426, although I find the extra weight adds great in air stability. They like to bring up that 2 strokes have the same HP rating as well, but look at the power curves, the 4 stoke has more available power at any givin moment. Only Peak HP is comparable, I dont know about you, but my bike is never wide open %100 of the time, thats why the 426 is such a superior trail bike. Also, the HP ratings are performed on a dyno where traction is perfect, we all know the stroker puts more power to the ground in a real world situation.

Originally posted by Yak:

Its pretty common for other bike owners to defend their purchases, no matter what bike it may be. Im not suprised with that. The biggest argument the 2-smokers have is the weight issue of the 426, although I find the extra weight adds great in air stability. They like to bring up that 2 strokes have the same HP rating as well, but look at the power curves, the 4 stoke has more available power at any givin moment. Only Peak HP is comparable, I dont know about you, but my bike is never wide open %100 of the time, thats why the 426 is such a superior trail bike. Also, the HP ratings are performed on a dyno where traction is perfect, we all know the stroker puts more power to the ground in a real world situation.

That you are right in all you stated, I rode my friends YZ250 2-smoker on the track and the woods, I felt like I had to clutch it alot more and wind up the rubber bands before I felt it's power"I know this is the nature of a 2-Smoke , but after riding my 426f for almost a year , I would never go back to all that clutch work and shifting ?

I would say 99.9999% of the time a people talk smack is becouse there jealous.

The .0001 % is becouse they are extremely jealous

Dont worry about it Roost is the best way to deal with that

I dont have any friends ?

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

It's funny you know because I have been in the same situation for the past couple of years, my friends always had the two-smokes and I had the four. My first two-smoke was a 90' CR500 that was insane, well after it threw me 3 0r 4 times it was time to part with it. Then came the 91' KX125, then the 93' KX250 money pit, then the 99' KX125, then guess what came the almighty 01'426. I love this bike I can't even imagine getting anything else in place of it other than a new 450f. It's funny because all of my bud's had 2 smokes and now one of them got a 250f week before last that I found on here in the for sale forum, and my other bud is at the bank right now to get the money for the 01'426 in Alabama that is for sale in the this forum also. Fourstrokes are the only way to go. The two smoke will be a thing of the past in a couple of years, how much money ya wanna put down, Frank

i dont know about you guys but i liked it better when we were all the "odd ones" at the track with the bike that "made the funny sound." now when i goto a race about half the people there have fourstrokes, i liked it when there were like one or two people that were different from the crowd.....i guess these things must be THAT good! ?

Nobody I ride with bags on my thumper, actually they're glad I bought it. Ya see, I rode a CR500 before. Now when I pass them they survive to ride another lap. Sure the roost hurts off the back of the 426, but it wont put ya in the hospital like the roost off that freakin 500. That thing is plain ole deadly. And they dont have to tow me back to the truck as much because I ran outa gas anymore :D

Why someone would put a 2.1 gallon tank on an open class two stroke, I'll never know. ?

I used to be on the other side of the fence so I kind of understand where your friends are coming from. Reason being, I just didn't understand what a real 4-stroke was about. I though they were all underpowered slugs like the klx300. Boy was I wrong.

Resistance is futile, asymilation is inevetible.

Due time my young Jedi, due time.

I dont bash on Thumpers. I dont care what you ride as long as you ride it.

Why i ride a 2-stroke:

-Its light(im 15, 265 pounds gassed up is a handful in tight woods)

-super quick throttle response(thumpers just dont have it)

-its easy to start(I'm short and i push all the limits so i find myself on the ground quite a bit.

-they're cheap(i cant afford a 6000 dollar bike. I cant afford to grenade a motor on one either).

Originally posted by moto madman:

I dont bash on Thumpers. I dont care what you ride as long as you ride it.

Why i ride a 2-stroke:

-Its light(im 15, 265 pounds gassed up is a handful in tight woods)

-super quick throttle response(thumpers just dont have it)

-its easy to start(I'm short and i push all the limits so i find myself on the ground quite a bit.

-they're cheap(i cant afford a 6000 dollar bike. I cant afford to grenade a motor on one either).

??????

????

??????Grenade a motor????I would love to see a hand count of grenaded 400f/426f motors?????

ANYONE .........ANYone????

BUHLER..........BUEHLER......????

Afford a $6000 bike??????

....how much did you pay for your 2smoker????

....how many rings and pistons/year do you buy???

....How many $$$$/gallon do you pay for gasoline with oil mix???? $1.90...$2.00????

Give me a break.........2smokes are <font color=red>NOTcheaper than thumpers!!!!especially in the long run!!!

Super quick throttle response????? You have never ridden a thumper that is set up correctly!!!!

Hard to start????? DO THE DRILL!!!!!NEVER EVER HAD A PROBlEM!!!

?

I do have to admit that I rode my 93' RM 250 in the tight woods the other day and had a blast on it. That was like not even working at all compared to my 400f. That thing screams from corner to corner. But when it comes to the technical stuff the Thumper RULES!!!PERIOD

COME UP WITH BETTER ARGUMENTS THAN THOSE!!! :D

2003 will go down in history as the last year the 2 smokes still had a presence in mx, sx.

With bikes like the 03 crf, yzf, and ktm 450sx, the grave is already being dug.

RC better start gettin comfortable on that crf.

A bunch of red riders at our local track wanted to do some starts against my 426 the other night. I outweigh the heaviest of them by about 30-40 lbs. There were a couple of piped CR250's, acouple of tag along 125's and a piped CRF450. My stock YZ426 ate 'em alive. 10 out of 11 starts was pretty convincing, they don't rag on my 4 stroke, geez I shoulda made some money

My buddies used to give me hell about riding a Yamaha YZ250. I was the first in our group to step up and buy a 4 stroke...they all love my bike now. In fact 1 has just bought a CRF450 (cause he likes the Honda's) and 2 are in the process of getting 4 strokes.....all cause of me ?

I'm not the fastest in my group either but I will say they fear the roost I'll put on them if/when I do get a clean pass on em.