HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TampaBoy813

identifying yz400/426/450 Motor?

8 posts in this topic

I have just bought a 426F quad..and an starting to think its a 400f motor....whats the best way to identify the motor? :thumbsup:

the 10th digit in the engine number will tell you the year it was produced in.

On the 426 the hotstart is right on the carb itself, on the 400 its external.

Ok i think this is the deal...its a 426 motor with a 400f intake and carb...the hotstart off the carb....so i have been calling all over and I have a part # for a jug that was replaced and they told me the part # is for a 426...My next ? is do they have a hiflow waterpump and cover with the 426? :thumbsup:

The 400's have a smaller clutch basket and cover. the 426 clutch cover is much bigger then the 400. I dont know if this will help but if you have a 426 to compare the clutch covers it should help?? I think the water pumps are the same between the 400 and the 426. Good luck

If I were you I'd go back to the guy and raise hell until he can prove its a 426. To tell is a 426 it should say 426cm^3 on the side of the cylinder. If its a 400 it would say 399cm^3.