XR650L jetting

I have a dyno-jet stage 1 jet kit and I drilled the slide holes to 5/32". Instead of shimming the needle can I just move it to the fourth position down? Isn't this the same thing as adding a shim?

Check my sig. The fourth position will be a little leaner, I think you'll be happier in the middle postion or third one down.

Keihin jets and the stock needle shimmed work better than the dyno-jet kit.

The DJ kit is better than stock, but this way is better than the DJ kit.

I've run both ways.

Thanks, the third one down has a lot less hesitation when I hit the throttle, thanks.

Did you put the stock jet back in the carb or did you buy and install a keihn 165 jet. Does it make a big enough difference to buy and install the keihn stuff or is it a not that noticable improvment and where did you find a washer that was snug around the needle, radio shack didn't have any.

I used the Dynojet 165 that came with the kit. From what I have read the Kehin 158 is about the same as the Dynojet 165. There is some inconsistancies between manufacturers I suppose. XR_Dave is right though, I have read many reivews on the subject and just modifying the stock is the way to go but since you already have the Dynojet kit, I thought you might want to know which works best. I wouldn't use the 165 unless you do have an aftermarket pipe though. The stock will be too rich with the 165. :thumbsup:

I used the Dynojet 165 that came with the kit. From what I have read the Kehin 158 is about the same as the Dynojet 165. There is some inconsistancies between manufacturers I suppose. XR_Dave is right though, I have read many reivews on the subject and just modifying the stock is the way to go but since you already have the Dynojet kit, I thought you might want to know which works best. I wouldn't use the 165 unless you do have an aftermarket pipe though. The stock will be too rich with the 165. :devil:

Hey uw, how do you like your "Q". I'd like to "quiet" my L down a bit(pro-circuit t-4).Is the power significantly more than stock ? :thumbsup:

I have the old 98db version of the Q and like it ok. It definately chokes it a bit witht the "quiet" insert in the end but without it it's as loud as the power core 4. I would like to try the new 96db version but the cost doesn't outweigh the sound right now. That being sade it is quiet enough not to anoy folks around me. I wish I new what db I really had. Mine is due for a repack though. Power increase over stock was better off idle response and more top end. But it was a bit louder too.

Hey UW, this is the Rock Island connection. I am going to shoot for the re-jet this weekend. What does your schedule look like?

Hey there Brackney, did you get my PM.