Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
desmo900

Exhaust tip

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever used the exhaust tip from Baja Designs. Says its a bolt in and is less than 96 dB. How does it compare with the HRC tip.

One more thing. How come the HRC tip for the XR400 is $55 and the XR650 tip is $130 on the Baja Designs web site. They look the same.

The quiet tip from BD is designed to bolt inside the HRC tip, so you must already have that for the quiet tip to work. The HRC tip for the XR650R is a factory Honda part that you can buy directly from any Honda dealer if you want. The quiet tip can easily be installed / removed with one bolt and it quiets the bike down considerably and provides better performance than the stock 'corked' tip.

If you're inclined to save money, you can use a hole saw to cut the inner restriction out while still leaving the spark arrester screen (there are instructions on various sites). If that's too loud (it was for me) you can then stuff the area behind the screen with stainless steel scrubbers. Three worked for me. :thumbsup:

If that's too loud (it was for me) you can then stuff the area behind the screen with stainless steel scrubbers. Three worked for me. :thumbsup:

I like it. Do you mean the oval pad type or the square, thin, flat type ? Should I drop down from a 175 main @ 2000' when I do this ? (Drilled stock tip).

I do miss the sound of the Big Gun , but I bet noone else around here does. Quiet is good. :devil:

T.i.a.,

Brian

If I remember correctly the HRC tip is $84.95 from Service Honda.

I drilled out my stock tip, but left the four "stand offs" at the back of the spark arrestor intact. While I have never put a meter on it. I swear my drilled out exhaust is quieter than the stock "corked" tip. I also think that I am not completely uncorked because the stand offs are still in place, but it is quiet and has a lot more power than stock! Less sound more ground. Spread the word.......