tire help

I have an older XR600R with a 17 inch real wheel.

I am need of a new tire and my choices are very limited with the 17 inch. I ride in northern michigan which is, in my opinion medium to very sandy terrain. any suggestions on what tire to get?

pirelli MT21?

dunlop d606?

kenda k760? <--- looks most agressive

maxxis c6001?

i have a kenda k270 on it now and i dont like it.

i am very new to riding dirt bikes so any help would be super

thanks in advance

Mark

I have an older XR600R with a 17 inch real wheel.

I ride in northern michigan which is, in my opinion medium to very sandy terrain. any suggestions on what tire to get?

pirelli MT21?

dunlop d606?

kenda k760? <--- looks most agressive

maxxis c6001?

i am very new to riding dirt bikes so any help would be super

thanks in advance Mark

Generally speaking, tires with wider spacing between the tread blocks are for soft and sandy-type terrain. Tires with Blocks that are closer together are for hard packed & rocky conditions.

Is your Thumper dual-sported? If so, then looking at DOT knobs is a good idea. If not, get non-DOT tires.

-The MT-21 is a good choice, but can wear quickly.

-The D-606 is a longer wearing tire, but if you are riding soft stuff check out the D-739 which is better for softer terrain.

As you probably already know you're choices are limited by the 17-inch rim size.

One tire that you might want to look into is an IRC VE33 which is available through rockymountainmc.com They have two sizes for the 17 rim a 110/100 -17 and a 5.10 -17. They range from 35 to 41 bucks. I put one on my sons older xr200 and it appears to be a pretty good tire especially for the type of soil that you ride in.

i have a kenda k270 on it now and i dont like it.

Mark

What don't you like about this tire? Just not aggressive enough for you, or something else? Thanks.

Chris

the k270 seems kinda "slippery" i guess is the way to describe it

Tera Flex type 2 140/80 17 yes, they make a 17"