?Throttle Stop Stumped?

Taffy, I got the following from the tech part of this site on this bike.

I spoke with Baja Designs (www.bajadesigns.com) in California about this. They told me that if you remove the stop completely, the computer gets confused at full throttle, especially at high rpm where it acts like a rev-limiter making the engine start and stop when it reaches about 9000 rpm (I'm guessing here but I'm probably close). I tried this theory and sure enough, at high rpm the engine cuts out. I also noticed that the engine was hesitating at mid rpm at full throttle.

Baja Designs told me to take off enough of the stop so that 9mm remains from the head of the bolt to the end. My stop stock was 17mm so I took off 8mm with a dremmel tool (easy to do). After re-installing the stop, I went for a quick ride. Man! What a difference! The bike accelerated much faster, no longer hesitated at mid rpm, and revved to the moon!

Hmmm, may be a clue to the 01 WR's flat mid range problem on the highway, a post where the Taf man is waging a bitter jetting war as we speak.

I suppose I could get the YZ part, but if I knew the thread type, I cold just go the the HW store and save some time and $. Someone out there saved the threaded piece they cut off their WR for some reason they could not think of at the time. This is why. It knda looks like maybe the same as the idle screw thread.

Jason,

I hosed my stop a long time ago, cutting off too much. The measurement, is it from the head of the bolt to the point it screws into the body of the carb?

FYI: As long as I remember, my bike has NEVER revved out that far. I am thinking maybe 8K rpm if that...

My bike is a 99

------------------

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC, and I use MOBIL 1 Oil, with ZERO problems.

[This message has been edited by NH Kevin (edited 06-04-2001).]

Hey thumpers how you doing?

The throttle stop on my bike was removed when I got it. I read the post that explains that this hurts WOT cause it messes the TPS up. Can any one tell me what the thread type is on that screw, cause getting in there to try different screws pretty much requires cutting them. A picture of what the thing looks like would be great too because I am a bit confused on where the 9mm measurement comes into play.

jason

i once posted that my bike misfired every three seconds. wass this the same symptom that you got with the throttle stop removed.

there's no jetting war in this department. i've gone my way. difference is i've become a deveopment team of one (about a dozen short!).

Taffy

Taffy

Taffy

Well I am not having any symptons as far as I know. The bike dose sound like it is missing at idle every 3 or 4 seconds or so and I can feel and here a pop or sputter sound. The idle speed keep seeming to change too. I dialed in a good idel speed, I was doing alot of very wet and muddy riding with frequent deep water runs and crossing, after a long deep water crossing the bike wanted to stall if I put the clutch in, I have had this happen with air cooled bikes after water crossings had cooled the cylinder down to quick, but never with a water cooled. The water was very deep and its possible the air was cut off or restricted and it ran rich. After the stalls two kicks with out the hot start and it fired up. Like I said, I just got the bike and the throttle stop was gone when I got it and the guy gave me a bottle of jets and a pilot, I asked him what was in there and he said he was not sure. I want to take the bike back to mostly stock and start from there as far as the pilot and jet, but want to be safe on the throttle stop and put a YZ one in it. Why do you have to cut the YZ one down? I thought the YZ stop was good to go? Thanks a million for the PN on it!

Taffy, keep up the great R and D, it all pays off when someone calls you Yoda on a post ?

YZ throttle stop IS the correct length

------------------

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC, and I use MOBIL 1 Oil, with ZERO problems.