Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allan68

Stainless Oil Filters

23 posts in this topic

Yup.

Someone know the filtration specs from paper filters vs the stainless...??? here's some specs from a US made stainless;

Stainless filters have a 30 micron absolute rating, 20.6 sq. in. of surface area, and flow over 18 gallons per minute @ 30 psi.

I'd think the paper media is the way to go!Been that way for years cant be all that bad? :thinking:Iwant all that can be filterd clean as possible!!!ever hear of the toilet paper filter? :thumbsup:

Airtime hit it right on the head :thumbsup: ever read about and looked at the specs on a Scotts Stainless filter ?? "Stainless filters have a 30 micron absolute rating, 20.6 sq. in. of surface area, and flow over 18 gallons per minute @ 30 psi." Thats a heck of a lot better than paper !! I will be buying one as soon as I can cough up the 70 bucks :awww:

"I'd think the paper media is the way to go!Been that way for years cant be all that bad? Iwant all that can be filterd clean as possible!!!ever hear of the toilet paper filter? :lol: " --- Obviously written by some old geezer (or someone that thinks like an old geezer) uncapable of accepting new technologies :D Just because something has been used for years doesnt mean that its currently the best technology - Get a clue. :devil:

Stainless filters have been around a long time. I used to run a System One stainless filter in one of my race cars because the specs looked so good on paper, but oil analysis never showed any improvements in wear numbers when compared to various conventional filters I tested.

You also have to be careful when looking at ratings because an absolute number is an indication of the largest opening in the filter element, but that doesn't mean you can't have a long thin particle pass through, especially if the filter is strictly a surface filter as opposed to a depth filter. The nominal filtration rating is usually interpreted to mean the size of the smallest particles of which 90 percent will be trapped in the filter at each pass through the filter.

I definitely would not buy a Scotts filter (made by K&P) without looking at the other alternatives such as the CRT filter and others. The Scotts filter cannot be taken apart, nor can individual parts be replaced, etc. How would the average person really know if they've cleaned out all the micronic particulate when they're so small that you can't even see them with the naked eye? If I were to get a stainless filter for my bike, I'd be looking at the CRT stainless filter that can have individual parts replaced, dissassembled & inspected, comes with a lifetime warranty, etc. And they look kool too :thumbsup:. You can get them from Rocky Mountain ATV for $39 at this link and here's the link to the people distributing them for more info...

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/home.asp?sid=0004849631

http://www.furious-flow-filters.com/id32.html

Also, don't forget that some bikes don't even have oil filters and they seem to last a pretty long time. Don't get me wrong because I'd prefer to have a bike with an oil filter, but our 1980 XR80 has well over 20,000 miles on it on using standard petroleum oil and there's no oil filter on this bike. Also, this bike has been used and abused by kids learning to ride, learning to shift, learning to use the clutch, etc, and also by adults way too big who have thrashed this bike around and yet it still runs well today on the same engine.

I would bet that no matter which filter you use (paper or stainless) that your bike won't suffer any oil starvation problems or wear out prematurely as long as you change your oil & filters per the manufacturers recommendations.

I was just about to write all the same stuff and you beat me to it.

I bought mine here also;

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/home.asp?sid=0004849757

Typed in oil filter and picked the top one and at $40 each I bought one for the BRP and one for the XR400R. I wish I would have bought them a long time ago. My BRP has had 18 oil changes and at $6 for the paper filters, I would have paid for the Stainless filter along time ago, it would have paid for it's self before brake in of the bike.

I like the way it is built and don't have to worry about it coming apart like the paper one can/has.

Great info from Quadson like always :devil: and I save 40 bucks over the scotts to boot :thumbsup: I just got 2 dunlop 606's from Rocky Mountain, wish I had known about their stanless fileter last week :lol: would have thier filter with my tires.

I think from now on I will just start calling quadson on the phone before I buy anything :awww:

I,ve got a clue ,and at 45 is being a old geezer weelll dont grow old!!!!! :thumbsup::awww:

Thats just it,Ya cant take apart stainless filters and see what crap is leftand yea the OLD 216 and 235 chevy engines had a oil filter as a option back in there day,but they had babbit for bearings and now ya have cam journals that ride on the aluminum itself with no bearing inserts at all!! :devil:

Old or new what's the bad side of my Stainless oil filters? It flows more oil......filters out smaller particals it the first pass if thay are long or short, side ways, straight way, anyways........the check ball is removable to get inside and make sure it's cleen. Paper is 70~80 microns stainless in 30~40 microns. Way more cost effective after the first year of oil changes it becomes free! I am just not seeing the down side.

Yeah, thats exactly my point, stainless is better in evey way. When Frankstr tell everyone "I'd think the paper media is the way to go!Been that way for years cant be all that bad? Iwant all that can be filterd clean as possible!!!" Its obvious he doenst have a clue, since stianless filters out particles twice as small as paper. Then when he starts asking if we all ever heard of a toilet paper filters, its obvious hes talking out his :thumbsup: and just misleading everyone by giving the wrong answer to a question knows nothing about :devil: Im not trying to dump all over you Frankster, its just people come here to get questions answered and we should make a good effort we give them accurate information.

Im sure lots of motors over the years have run fine without any filter at all, but I sure as heck want the best filter possible in MY motor. So to answer the origional question, Stainless filters are better. :awww:

Based on my notes from a ways back, typical numbers for paper element filters are 40% at 10 microns, 60% at 20 microns, 93% at 30 microns, and 97% at 40 microns. More advanced filters made from composite elements of paper, cellulose, and fiberglass are effective down to 15 microns or less (better than stainless mesh). These filters are also three dimensional as opposed to the stainless which are two dimensional. When talking to Champion Labs about a filter they build for Mobil 1 for a specific application, they said their filter is 75% efficient @ 10µ and 98.5% @ 20µ (absolute). If you've got micronic particlulate jammed into the stainless mesh at pressure, then simply soaking the filter in kerosene, diesel, etc, may not release these tiny particles. Advertising talks about how these filters are used in certain critical applications, but they don't usually mention that some of these critical applications require these steel filters to be disposed of and replaced instead of being cleaned. Other applications require stainless filters to be washed using a special machine at temperature for a specific duration of time to ensure they're truly clean and some makers of stainless filters advise their customers to send their filters in for inspection at certain intervals to ensure their integredy. If you're using a stainless filter in your bike, then make certain you can see light passing through all the mesh which will help to improve your chances of knowing that your filter is clean.

Anyone every hear that you should fill your paper oil filters up with oil when you install them to prevent the initial surge of oil from tearing apart the paper filter media?

I read all I could get a hold of about this and have always known that when something is being sold they will say anything to get your money but, I haven't found anything different then this below. I bought my filters three months ago and just put one in the XR400 at the first of this month. I am waiting for my BRP to come home to put it in it. If you have other info I would like to read it so, to have the facts and not just advertizments.

The biggest thing I like was it is an absolute filteration not a % pass rate. :thumbsup:

I got my info from here;

http://www.americandirtbike.com/k&p.htm

These stainless oil filters are made from laser cut, medical grade, stainless steel micronic filter cloth to provide unmatched protection against oil contamination and resultant engine damage.

Superior Filtration

This filter is far superior to any paper filter you can buy. It filters to 35 micronic absolute. This means that no particle larger than 35 microns will pass through this filter. Paper filters are rated at 50 to 80 microns avarage, meaning a paper filter will pass particles many times larger.

Cleanable & Reusable

The stainless steel micronic oil filter should last the life of your machine. Simply remove rince in clean solvent and reinstall. Monitor wear of internal engine components by inspecting the particles trapped by the filter. Avoid catastrophic failures by decting problems early.

Consistent Flow Under All Conditions

These stainless steel filters perform equally well from cold start up through extreme heat without loss of protection. A one inch square of our stainless steel micronic filter materal will flow 1.9 gallons of 90 weight oil per miniute at only 1 PSI pump pressure ( 70 degrees F.) (typical filter size is 14 sq. inch) Standard paper filters do not flow well when the oil is cold, often causing the bypass valve to open allowing unfiltered oil to enter the engine.

Unaffected By Water, Heat & Pressure

This stainless steel oil filter is capable of withstanding extremely high pressure and flow rates. the stainless steel cloth is also unaffected by water, unlike standard paper filter material, which swells in the presence of water closing filter pores and reducing flow.

Proven Technology

This high-tech filter technology is widly used in all types of auto racing and in the aerospace industry.

What Are Microns

A micron is one thousandth of a millimeter, thats about .00003937 inches. 35 microns is about .00138 inches (just over one thousandth of an inch) this filter will not passany particle larger than 35 microns, the avarage human hair is 140 microns thick.

http://www.motostrano-store.com/kpenststoilf.html

This should be the last oil filter you will ever buy! Made from laser cut, medical grade, 304 stainless steel micronic filter cloth, this filter provides 200% more filter area in many cases. Most good paper filters will pass particles in the 90 to 95 micron range, and some tested, as much as 300 microns. Sand is about 125 microns and a white blood cell approximately 25 microns. Our stainless filter catches items down to 35 microns "absolute", which is about 3 times better than most good paper or brass filters. The pleat seam is welded, able to withstand up to 600 degrees in our filter, not glued, like paper filters.

Cleanable and reusable: Simply remove the filter, rinse in clean solvent and replace it, you're done. The filter can be cleaned with solvent, kerosene, aerosol carburetor cleaner, or any other degreasing agent, even common dish soap. You can even blow air through the filter from the inside out to remove any small particles or cleaning agent from the screen if you so desire.

Consistent flow under all conditions: Stainless steel will stand up to the stress of heat, high pressure and physical handling much better than paper or brass. This filter maintains consistent flow under all conditions including cold start ups and or under extreme heat. A one inch square of this micron filter material will flow 1.9 gallons of 90 weight oil per minute at only 1 psi pump pressure (70 degrees F). Our typical filter size is 30 sq. in. which equals the flow of 57 gallons per minute. Standard paper filters do not flow well when the oil is cold, often causing the bypass valve to open allowing unfiltered oil to enter your engine, uhg!

Unaffected by Water, Heat and Pressure: This filter is capable of withstanding extremely high pressure and flow rates. It is also unaffected by Water, Heat and Pressure, unlike standard paper filter material which swells in the presence of water, closing off filter pores and reducing flow.

Early Detection: By allowing you to inspect the debris that is in the filter you can monitor your engines condition, avoiding minor and or catastrophic failures.

What is a Micron? A micron is one thousandth of a millimeter. That's about .00003937 inches. Fine sand can be as small as 62 microns thick. Our filter will not allow any particle over 35 microns to pass through this filter, that's some pretty small stuff that's being caught.

So who uses this type of filtration? This high tech filter technology is widely used in all types of auto racing including NASCAR, Indy type cars, Formula 1 and in the Aerospace industry where filtration is of the utmost importance.

Things to think about: Next time you are fanning your clutch think about all that tiny debris that is created from the clutch and gears meshing together, spinning around in your motor's vital parts. If you really care about the life of your motor and consider the cost of loss of time associated with a current day 4-stroke motor, then you need one of these filters. It's even transferrable in some cases to your next bike. I used the same filter in my last three bikes, and it's still like brand new, there's simply nothing to wear out.

Environmental benefits In addition to all the other benefits, our filter helps keep the land fills free of old used filters.

This filter is proudly made in the USA.

I found a cheaper priced here:

http://www.motostrano-store.com/ststoilfi.html

Welll mr.pilotjet i was just voicing my opion,not my :thumbsup:

I feel media filters are more then suffient for the job!!

ride on !!!!!!!!!!

In my last Goldwing I had one in it I had over 78,000 on it I took it in for a yearly going over and the mechanic(good friend) opened it up. It's like a brand new motor. I used regular oil for 1 350 mile stint and then went Mobil red cap with a Scotts oil filter. I use 1 on my DRZ E model also. I haven't ever had any problems with it. I don't use Mobil 1 anymore though it's on a strictly Silkolene pro4 15-50 Synthetic. I haven't had any trouble with it in the least. I would honestly recommend them myself. prairiedawg :thumbsup: