Just bought my first XR650R (few questions)

First off, let me say that I'm brand new to the world of dirt bikes, but have been riding street bikes for years. I just bought a brand new '03 XR650R.

First question.....how the hell do you resist pulling wheelies from every stop sign???

Second question....I'll be using the bike for commuting now and then. I added a decent headlight and brakelight, but was wondering about getting some type of ignition switch, or hidden toggle ignition defeat switch for security purposes...any suggestions?

Lastly.....we've got some motocross tracks here locally and I was wondering if bikes like mine are welcome at mx tracks, or if people would look at me like a big dummy for showing up.

I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with this bike so far. My current bike is a Harly Fatboy, and having the XR to play around on has been a total blast so far. I'm going to get new tires, since I'll be riding to all my riding spots, not trailering, and those knobby's kinda suck on the road. Any suggestions for a decent 50/50 dirt/road tire? I can't really justify a knobby tire when an honest 50 percent or more of my riding will be on pavement.

Cool site here, thanks for helping a newbie out.

Chris

Congratulations! You don't resist wheelies! Just don't let the cops see you...driving to endanger. Pirelli MT-21s are not bad on road or off road. I think a heavy, powerful bike with 50/50 tires would be a handful in the dirt. Sure, a few people might get a few laughs about the BRP at a MX track (more if you had 50/50 tires on), but who cares. Just go have fun. And if you go fast enough, no more laughing.

at first people laugh...I am guilty of that. There is a guy who rides his dual sport to Glen Helen all the time and at first I was like..."what the hell is this guy doing". THen I watched him and in jeans, some old school boots, and helmet he ripped that course up,lap after lap, clearing jumps I couldnt clear and then rode off the track and rode on home. I was told from some freinds that the guy has been doing it for years and it showed by how fast he was.

It was an old XR 400 or 600, but I was impressed. Another thing...let all the guys make fun, cuz unless they are beating teh little bastards on the 60s and 65s...they can be made fun of too.

I know those little green and orange bikes rip by me like no other...

I used a key switch off a DRZ400. There on ebay all the time. Maybe look on the DRZ page. ? Remember keep at least one wheel on the ground at all times

How did you mount it/wire it? I'm assuming that you got rid of the kill switch of the bars, and then re-routed those wires to whereever you mounted the ignition switch?

I don't know if you have uncorked/jetted your new bike properly or not, but you should if you haven't. The stock XR650R is very slow and boring. Once you do the uncorking/jetting, the XR650R will absolutely freakin' rip!!

Wheelies will be unavoidable even at the crack of the throttle, which is what I like. Any "good running" bike under acceleration SHOULD keep the front wheel slightly elevated above the pavement. I also like a bike which requires the rider to lean forward and squeeze the tank with the legs, in order to remain on said bike. Such a bike has true power and the XR650R can easily accomplish this task by simply doing the necessary uncorking/jetting procedure.

Have fun man!

LL

XR650sm.jpg

Security system... hmmm, check this out, or even this.

With a bike, it's even easier to wire an alarm than a car. The wiring harness is much simpler and shorter, but do not rely on a Clymer wiring diagram, it's useless... perhaps the Honda shop service manual is better. But someday I've got plans to make a bike alarm that goes off when somebody even comes close to the bike. Until then, in google we trust. ?

Security system... hmmm, check this out, or even this.

With a bike, it's even easier to wire an alarm than a car. The wiring harness is much simpler and shorter, but do not rely on a Clymer wiring diagram, it's useless... perhaps the Honda shop service manual is better. But someday I've got plans to make a bike alarm that goes off when somebody even comes close to the bike. Until then, in google we trust. :devil:

Those links are a bit useless TBH coz they both require a power source...THe XR650 doesnt have a battery ?

I just picked up a Baja Designs quick release kit for my pig and it has a battery pack. Helps out a lil. I was a lil depressed about the weigh of the system, but oh well. I was very pleased to find out that BD just modifies "Honda" parts, which is nice. Not some cheap alternative.