HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dirtboxboy

Adding recifier to older WR's

9 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone out there has got their 2000 WR or any WR without a battery in it wired up with a rectifier so they can have DC output for things like GPS , mp3 player etc.

Do you think that if a rectifier was wired up, then running GPS/MP3 would burn out the stock stator?

Thanks for your opinions :thumbsup:

Wire the rectifier in like the diagram shows. You can leave the battery out but I'd recommend using a small 12 volt sealed battery so your devices don't shut off every time you shut the motor off. And the battery helps keep the lights at a more steady output. Wire any of your devices in parallel with the headlights, etc. If you do it according to my diagram, you will have to rewire the headlights and tallights because they will no longer be able to be grounded to the frame. It's not a lot of work, though.

wiring%20diagram.jpg

Make sure the rectifier has a heat sink or otherwise it will burn out. If it doesn't come with one, make one.

Wire the rectifier in like the diagram shows. You can leave the battery out but I'd recommend using a small 12 volt sealed battery so your devices don't shut off every time you shut the motor off. And the battery helps keep the lights at a more steady output. Wire any of your devices in parallel with the headlights, etc. If you do it according to my diagram, you will have to rewire the headlights and tallights because they will no longer be able to be grounded to the frame. It's not a lot of work, though.

wiring%20diagram.jpg

I would recommend running a DC rectifier/regulator unit and tossing the stock AC regulator. The voltage regulation will be much better since it's done on the DC side of the rectifier. Also you will need either a battery or a large capacitor in the circuit as you will have a tremendous amount of ripple on the DC without them (not good for sensitive electronics). Trailtech sells a rectifier/regulator unit for $29.95 that works well. On their website they say you need to float the AC ground by rewiring your stator but you don't need to if you run all the DC loads off of an isolated ground. There are other sources for the rect/reg unit as well (Baja Designs, etc.).

Trailtech

For those of us who are not sparkies, what does "run all the DC loads off of an isolated ground" mean? I just ordered the TrailTech rectumfinder/regulator along with their battery eliminator for my 01 WR426, and was planning on floating the coil, or at least trying to using the instructions that they promised to send, but would prefer not to mess with it if I don't have to. Thanks for any help!

Greg

Floating the DC ground means tieing all of the - leads to the negative terminal of the battery and not connecting any of them to the chassis. Since one side the AC magneto is connected to ground you need to use a seperate wire for all of the DC grounds and not connect them to the chassis. I have a schematic of the way my bike is wired. It's in PDF format and I'm not sure how to post it. If you're interested PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you.

Please send me the pdf with schematic of your bike wires.

Thanks!