CA Loophole allows out-of-state liscensed dirtbike to get CA plates?

You can't get a license tag for dirt bikes in CA anymore.

CA dirt bikes licensed before the ban are now way over priced because of this.

The Loophole:

CA law says CA resident can not license a vehicle bought out of state that

does not meet CA pollution requirements OR have at least 7500 miles on the odometer. (see below quote)

How to use the Loophole:

Dirt bikes don't have odometers.

Buy a dirt bike out of state (licensed in that state).

Have seller sign mileage state with 8000 miles.

You should be able to bring in any out of state licensed dirt bike and get plates in CA for it. ?

Wil this work? Am I missing something?

What You Need to Know Before Buying a Vehicle from Out of State

The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here.

Aren’t All Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold to California residents. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. 50-State or California certified vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?

California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you will be told to remove it from the state immediately.

You mean the form that says this one the bottom

K. APPLICANT’S SIGNATURE

I certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the information I have provided is true and correct.

SIGNATURE_______________ DATE__________ DAYTIME PHONE NO.______

That form?

chimp.gif

Assuming that is the correct form, if the sellor signs a mileage statement under the penalty of perjury, it's not the buyers responsibility to doubt it's accuracy. If the law's wording allows a bike to be licensed under that circumstance then anybody wanting to do so should certainly do it. I know I would, guilt free.

Yes this exists for used vehicles brought into CA from other states.

The vehicle must meet Federal Emissions requirements. On street bikes there's a sticker on the Front frame downtube stating federal complaince for the year it was built.

For motorcycles the DMV will look for the sticker during their inspection. It's on the inspection checklist.

I did this with a one year old 98 WR 400 I bought used in AZ. I did get a CA street bike title and plate.

I haven't heard of anyone else doing this with newer bikes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
The federal emmissions sticker is the 'rub'. Most offroad bikes don't have one. I'm dealing with that problem right now.

Oh no, they have one or at least they did when first sold. The problem is the sticker says the bike meets requirements for off road emissions. It needs to say it meets standards for on road emissions. That is the "rub."

Oh no, they have one or at least they did when first sold. The problem is the sticker says the bike meets requirements for off road emissions. It needs to say it meets standards for on road emissions. That is the "rub."

Actually, it has to say:

" Meets all EPA standards and Federal guidelines for emissions"

When you sign the DMV form (#343 here in CA) you need to acknowledge it passes both levels of compliance, and have a LEO sign it to confirm.

THAT'S the rub. Getting a sticker like this on a bike with a non-compliant 8th digit in the VIN is impossible.

You have to cheat the system or lie to make it happen.

I used this technique to get a 2001 KTM 250 E/XC 2-stroke plated a few years ago. I bought the bike in AZ, and since the bike doesn't have an odometer the seller and I agreed that estimating that he rode it about 3000 miles a year for the three years he had it made sense, so 9000 miles was stated on the pink slip, along with a check in the box that stated that that the mileage did not agree with the odometer (or something like that). I didn't have the inspection done at the DMV, I took it to the CHP instead, not that it would make a big difference, but for me dealing with a CHP officer is easier than a DMV employee that doesn't even know the applicable rules and regs.

The key to this whole thing for me was I didn't really care if they denied the plate. I bought the bike at the time because it was a great deal on a green sticker 2-stroke. The AZ plate on it was a bit shady itself, but I figured it was worth a shot so I played the game and got the plate. I have since sold that bike, and the new owner hasn't had any problems keeping the plate.

• 1 month later...

Perjury

fraud

falsifying government documents,

Is there anything else I should add to the list?

WOW! I know it sucks for dualsports in Cali but geez! That's a lot of risk just to get a plate on your bike!

Fork over the extra bucks that you would spend on the DS kit, sell your current bike and buy a used (legal) dualsport.

If the bike was registered as a off-highway vehicle in the previous state, it usually says so explicitly on the documents. That's the other red flag that even the slowest DMV clerk will notice, when you attempt to register as a motorcycle (not "off-highway") in Calif.

if its just a sticker.... open up photoshop type it out, then upload it to cafepress, then buy the sticker you made and stick it on your motorcycle.

I would bet that the sticker has a part number. Just go to a dealer, order the sticker by it's part number and put it on your bike.

I would bet that the sticker has a part number. Just go to a dealer, order the sticker by it's part number and put it on your bike.

You can't buy VIN stickers and just put them on your bike. If you put a cert sticker on your bike and get caught, off to jail you go. Plus DOL/DMVs are building databases of VINs for off-road and street legal bikes. Plus you can't change the title/MSO - that would be forgery/fraud.