Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
edareus

Any tips on putting number backrounds on?

6 posts in this topic

:) Do a search on this topic, I remember a thread a while back that was quite long. Some soak them in hot water, leave them out in the sun, any way to make them more flexible. I let them sit on the hood of my truck after going somewhere and let them get soft. I clean the number plates really good and then spray the sticky side of the background(yes sticky side) with windex(Makes them slip around a little) I then take a little squeegee(sp?) after there in place and get all of the windex out. After they dry they look great.

This was discussed in detail a few months ago, so you may try a search, but I believe the consensus was to drink a lot of beer before and during.

Another interesting suggestion was soaking the backgrounds in hot water.

I've gone through this three times now and IMO all you need is a lot of Windex (or whatever), a small squeegee (heard that a body filler applicator works but my DeCal Works stuff came w/ a squeegee) and some patience.

To get those last few stubborn bubbles out a heat gun works great, but isn't really necessary, and if used overzealously would probably ruin things.

Hope this helps.

Windex

clean the backgorund real good

then saturate it with windex

(ONLY WINDEX ORIGINAL)

this gives you about 15-30 minutes depending on how hot to adjust the number(s) just as you want them.

Do a search there are plenty of posts but garuntee Windex will work just great.

it also allows you time to really work the bubbles out complete. Use a paper towel or a clean diaper to wipe and work the bubbles out.

It will be slippery at first but once the Windex starts to evaporate it stiffens up.

Oh ya and lotsa beer as Hick points out if your so inclinded

:) Do a search on this topic, I remember a thread a while back that was quite long. Some soak them in hot water, leave them out in the sun, any way to make them more flexible. I let them sit on the hood of my truck after going somewhere and let them get soft. I clean the number plates really good and then spray the sticky side of the background(yes sticky side) with windex(Makes them slip around a little) I then take a little squeegee(sp?) after there in place and get all of the windex out. After they dry they look great.

WINDEX & Hair dryer.

The magic touch.

1. Clean # plates, then clean them again and then clean again. Remove all old residue.

2. Spray windex on plastics & sticky side of decals.

3. Gradually work out air pockets or windex pockets.

4. Use hair dryer to mold around dificult sections.