HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteadyEddy

Fork Question

11 posts in this topic

Hi all, Might seem like a funny Question,

I was in the bike shop the other day and seen some air bleed niples for front forks.

Question is:

Why do we need to bleed air from them,

and how often should this be performed?

:thumbsup:

gday, ive always been told to bleed the air out of the forks, something to do with the build up of pressure i think? it can wreck the functioning of the forks....?? not exactly sure, i have heard of people who do it after every ride, i do it every so often, i usually get a little shhhh out and thats all. theres a screw on top of your forks that you slightly undo, the bleeders u saw were they similar to a bike valve??

yer, they srew in to where the exsiting ones are and have the valve on top that you depress, looks very easy to do,

saw them up in sydney on the weekend

Air pressure builds up in the forks on every ride this causes some harshness in the start of the travel of the forks, rougher ride. The going idea is to bleed before every ride. The valves your talking about give you the ablity to bleed your forks at every stop with out breaking out your tools. This should give you a plusher ride all day long.

airpressure in forks get higher when temperature raises. Even when you are not riding!

Always let the air out before you ride, otherwise your fork will be stiffer.

I have put a set on my bike and it is a great mod. No more dropped little screw in the dirt :thumbsup:

airpressure in forks get higher when temperature raises. Even when you are not riding!

Always let the air out before you ride, otherwise your fork will be stiffer.

And, if you want to make the fork temporarily plusher, you can push them in a little and open the bleeder to create a negative pressure in there....works great in a rock garden.

I thought the front end had to be off the ground when you bled the forks?

Normally it does....I said to do this to make the forks even plusher....the negative pressure will help in certain circumstances.

I thought the front end had to be off the ground when you bled the forks?

Normally it does....I said to do this to make the forks even plusher....the negative pressure will help in certain circumstances.

I didn't relise how much you can acctually set up the bike for personal preferences :devil:

Can these things get any better :thumbsup: