Consensus on Prep for a Hot Days Ride

Just want to get a Consensus, on how you all prepair yourselvs for a hot day of riding.

I mean in the degrees of 90 ++ weather.

1: What do you all eat drink the night before?

2: Beside beer, what do you use for fluid replacemnt that day (I.E. Energy Drink, Gatoraid and so on)

When I was a weeee bit younger it was beer and beef jerky ?

Now that I am smarter, Well let that one pass :D

I ask becouse I rode Monday in 92 weather it was ok, not so hot. I drank alot of fluids (water) but I just ran out of poop after 4 hours. Normally I can keep going but I was simply drained.

well, a redbull or 2 before riding always helps. eat some food with high protein or something with high carbohydrates, such as breads, noodles, things like that. for protein eat peanuts or beef jerkey. also make sure you drink plenty of water or something like gatorade with electrolytes. It also helps to have an energy bar before you ride. and ALWAYS get a good nights sleep before. I hope this helps ya out!

-alex

it also helps to cut the sleeves off an old jersey, and maybe buy a pair of riding pants or freestyle pants with unzippable legs that let them turn into riding shorts, wait, maybe thats not a good idea on the 426, thinks could get a little crispy if your bare upper calve hits that powerbomb header!

water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water

if you don't need to pee every hour or so you are not hydrated enough

p.s. water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water

Has anyone mentioned water yet???

Gatorade is good too, but the stuff bought from a store should actually be diluted about 2:1 with water-it has too much sugar. Best way to do it is buy the powder and use 1/2 as much powder as they suggest-doesn't taste very good though... Be careful with Red Bull, energy drinks, etc. they tend to spike your energy levels, then leave you with less in the long run-sugar is the main culprit there. Also begin getting all hydrated the day before, not during or right before-hope that helps...

Actually I am not asking how too, all though that helps

I specifically asked for a consensus, on what you all do prior too a hot day ride or for that matter a day of riding.

My normal routine is to carb up the day before, pasta's, breads, Fruit. And have a good protein meal for dinner and breakfast, Day before.

I am constantly drinking water so my water is wetter HeHe Pun Intended.

The day of the ride I normally eat eggs and bacon

and bring a crap load of water, water, water, water, water, water.

And then I bring water water water.

I am good to go; I just thought I would post to get a thread going with different routines.

[ July 10, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

Personally before a really hot day at the moto, its lots a water the night before, because I get a huge side cramp if I try to drink a lot of water during the day. My suggestion would be to go easy on the bread and pasta. The will spike your insulin levels and screw up the glucos levels in the muscles causing you to tire quicker, believe it or not. Fruit is good, but you have to taper that with some kind of fiber or protien, again to prevent spiking the insulin levels.

Im sure you knew all this, but its what I do. But then again, Im tired at 4 hours of moto too. But me thinks that has something to do with beind 40 and not working out. ?

Shawn

Ya I agree 45 210 adn a couch potato helps in that area alot. But I figure I still work out 12 oz's at a time, somtimes both hands.

I thnk matabalizm is a big factor, I agree on the insulin and glucose, but I think its a matter of what works.

Thanks for the ino, again just tryin gto get a concensos

Here's what works for me (I'm in S. Florida):

For food, just eat regular healthy stuff. Avoid anything too salty or that gives you bowel troubles, complex carbs are good for lasting energy. AVOID anything with caffeen or alcohol starting the day before you ride! Both are dieretics (makes you pee out your water). Start drinking extra fluids the day before if you can, it's really to your advantage to be hydrated at the start of the riding day. During the day drink plenty of water AND/OR a sport drink. If you sweat a lot and your blood levels of potasium, etc.. gets low you can have the same symptoms as dehydration (headache, nausia, cramps, etc..) even though your "water" level is fine. Gatoraide or something similar can really help to prevent this. If you wait until you're thirsty then it's too late, you're already dehydrated to some degree. Make sure you're drinking plenty! If you're going to the track, bring an ez-up/umbrella and chair, and a generator and fan or equivalent if it's not a windy day. I only weigh 160# and I typically drink more than a gallon during a hot day of riding.

If you feel like you're starting to get overheated or dehydrated (headache, nausia, cramps, shortness of breath, weakness, dizyness, etc..) stop at once and take a break. Not only is it bad for you, but once you hit this point your engergy is gonig to be really gone for the rest of the day if you keep pushing it without a cool off break (at least for me it is). If someone gets severly overheated or dehydrated then call the parametics.

More advice than you asked for, but hey, it's free. ?

Goin out in 2 countem 2 hours, and its 95 in the plush desert of Nevada(central). I dont really do anything to prepare for the heated ride, I fill my hydro pack with ice and water until is so heavy I pull wheelies with the back weight :D

I take regular breaks and suck on the hydro like a, nevermind.

I do wear a white tee shirt under the chest protector, in hopes of fending off some sun rays, but with the elbow pads and crap it doesnt help much.

But consistant breaks with lots of aqua is the theory I use for long rides in the July Sun,

Gotta go and see how many buds I can round up for this evenings ride

:D:D

The more bikes, the better chance for some to get brave and wreck at a high speeds. ?